Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,011   Posts: 1,524,666   Online: 802

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

MG filters for Beseler 45

I am wondering, where can I find the cheapest solution for a complete set of large gelatin multigrade filters (that will fit my Beseler 45MX filter drawer)... Do you have any suggestions ? I have looked around a bit and only found expensive sets / or filters sold one by one...

I don't really want to only buy two filters and do split grade printing, because I only use MG paper for quick and unimportant prints and so I want to be able to work fast...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've got this info saved:

"The September/October 2005 issue of Photo Techniques has an article by
    Howard Bond titled "Variable-Contrast Printing and Rosco Filters".
    That sounds just like what you're looking for. He suggested using the
    Rosco Calcolor 15Y, 30Y, 60Y, 90Y, 15M, 30M, 60M, and 90M filters.
    The article explains how he made those coices, and how to test for
    your own use."

I doubt those are speed matched.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Yes, I remember reading about it here on APUG (or reading the article itself), but the problem is that I cannot find Roscoe filters here in Greece. Do you know if someone sells them online and how much a set of the ones mentioned would cost ? How large are they ?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Lee makes the same sort of product. Might be easier to find in Europe? The big photo shops carry them but I think all the movie places carry them to.

The small size is 20"x24" [50cmx60cm I guess] Price is usually between $6 and $7 for each one.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Since this is not intended to be your best quality work, try holding standard above lens filters in the light path. You only need to locate a 6cm set for that. Although there is supposed to be some image degradation, I haven't seen any with smaller prints. For bigger prints and final versions I use the filter drawer on the Durst or the colour head on the Beseler.
    I feel, therefore I photograph.

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    What filter size do you need for the drawer in your Beseler?
    If you're not taking your camera...there's no reason to travel. --APUG member bgilwee

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I think it's 16cm but I might be mistaken. I'll measure it later and tell you.

Yes, I can put the small Ilford filters under the lens, on the Red Filter holder, but it annoys me and it slows me down... I can also use the colour head, but then I have to turn on the huge fan module, that annoys me too (I know, I am a strange and obnoxious personality)...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Dear George,

We do make 15.2 cm square filter sets, its just that we do not sell that many in Europe mostly 8.9's

Simon ILFORD Photo / HARMAN technology Limited

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon R Galley
    Dear George,

We do make 15.2 cm square filter sets, its just that we do not sell that many in Europe mostly 8.9's

Simon ILFORD Photo / HARMAN technology Limited
    Thank you Simon, I know that Ilford makes 15cm filters, the problem is that the 45MX filter drawer has the following dimensions: the opening is 15.7x15.5 cm and the size of the filter needs to be 5-6mm larger in order to hold in the drawer.... :-( this leaves some milimeters exposed from each side and will make the 15.2cm filter drop and fall on the negative.

If only you made them 1cm bigger...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    We use the 6X6 (15.2 cm square) filters for our Beseler 45s. We just trim the back edge to accomodate the curve at the back of the chamber and pop them in. This is above the condensors. Works perfectly. If we do not trim the back, then there will be a part of the image that is not filtered. I am not sure if you are using a different head, perhaps or what. Again, ours are above the condensors so there is no risk of anything falling on the negative.

Paul

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin