Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,206   Posts: 1,531,862   Online: 979

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    the transformer ratings depend on tube dia. length and # of electrodes, one option, if you're totally buggered is to invert the xfrmr, bake it at about 250, above something to catch the tar, replace the cord, then re pot it

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Funny how Aristo can't say what the rating is; I have an Aristo 8x10 head with separate transformer and they can't tell me anything about it even though I have a model number label on it.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Hi !
    What I write will be from a very old Durst cold light head, so take it accordingly !
    This cold light head has a transformer getting 220 V 50 Hz input (France mains) and providing a little more than 2000 V. I have not measured the current flowing through the tube. I measured this becaus the head gives a too blue light output unsuitable for VC paper and I planned to replace t by a custom made Aristo V54 tube. So I thought Aristo would have asked me the power output of the transformer... NOPE ! they told me they can make a bulb if I provide them with the shape, lenght and tube dia. Not the voltage nor current ! Funny isn't it ?
    May I suggest you find a neon signs maker in your town and show him the beast, asking for help ? He may know what kind of insulation is needed, the power requirments and so on... He may also be able to re pot the thing.
    Just my 2 cents here...

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by epatsellis
    the transformer ratings depend on tube dia. length and # of electrodes, one option, if you're totally buggered is to invert the xfrmr, bake it at about 250, above something to catch the tar, replace the cord, then re pot it
    It's in the trash and gone... Would have been a good idea tho.

I think that maybe a sign maker might help. My next best bet is a custom LED board to fit the enclosure. I'm researching that as well, and it may prove to be a good way to go. I also have someone with a coldlight head that wants to sell it; We'll see.

GG, I could believe the voltage.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't know, 2000 sounds low, the smallest I've used is about 4500v, though they could be using a custom.

erie

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Just to add info to the thread, the bulbs are apparently made by the following company for Aristo. http://www.voltarc.com/ The contact address for Louise Kessler is at the bottom of the Aristo page.

I have contacted a local neon guy and it looks like I may have a solution. May is the operative word.
    Last edited by waynecrider; 06-21-2006 at 09:13 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by waynecrider
    Just to add info to the thread, the bulbs are apparently made by the following company for Aristo. http://www.voltarc.com/ The contact address fopr Louise Kessler is at the bottom of the Aristo page.

I ahve contacted a locak neon guy and it looks like I may have a solution. May is the operative word.
    While these two companies may have different names, they are one and the same company.
    Art is a step from what is obvious and well-known toward what is arcane and concealed.

Visit my website at http://www.donaldmillerphotography.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by epatsellis
    I don't know, 2000 sounds low, the smallest I've used is about 4500v, though they could be using a custom.

erie
    I seem to remember 3.5 KV on the transformer output...amperage should be very low with that high an output voltage...

Another source would be the step up transformer that is used in boiler burner ignition systems...they use the same types of transformers...

For those who may be confused by terminology...a ballast is simply another word for a step up transformer..
    Art is a step from what is obvious and well-known toward what is arcane and concealed.

Visit my website at http://www.donaldmillerphotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    IIRC, when I did the pattern from my 8x10 head, basically a 16" circle with a grid 1 1/2" on center, it came to 9000volts, 45ma, a 12,000 will give me a little bit of insureance against line sags, etc. now realize that this grid is quite a bit bigger than a 4x5 head, so a 4500v xfrmer would work. one thing to consider is a core and coil type tranny, basically the same trans without the potting, about 1/2 to 1/3 the price, though. However, you are responsible for best practices with regard to insulation,etc. (iirc, dielectric voltage of air is ~1000v /in.) a decent neon guy could help you quite a bit and probably has a few (dozen or more) used trannies lying about, Iknow I have at least 10, and a friend of mine that does a lot of neon has 2 or 3 pallets of them. (they don't often fail, but I know I won't use a used transformer in a new installation.) France also makes a line of transformers that are totally enclosed with a line cord and switch, and has 2 gto wires coming out of it.

erie

Shooter
    Large Format
    erie is 100% correct. The Graflarger is NOT flourescent, but a simple neon tube (of course the gas inside may be special).

You have three direct options.

Measure the voltage out of a working transformer. I do not recommend this unless you know how...

Take your Graflarger, complete, to a neon sign shop and ask them for a transformer. They can guess, wire it and hopefully not blow it up.

Check on graflex.org where this discussion has gone around many times...

The best I can remember is the voltage runs between 3.5 and 6 thousand volts. It is not all that critical to operation except where it may blow the tube, wear it out prematurely or not ignite it. The milliamp rating is also not all that critical except to be high enough to maintain the voltage through the tube. So if it's rated at 75VA and you find a replacement at 80VA, fine, but 60VA might not work...

There was a person on gralfex.org who found a replacement. I don't remember the specifics but a search there would turn it up...

... So I should have noticed a 'page 2", and tried spell checking...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin