Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,535   Posts: 1,544,072   Online: 1103

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    35mm
    More information about neon and flourescents. It could be very dangerous to try and measure that transformer. This source rates them at 20KV!, its very low amperage. (Most volt meters don't go that high, those that do require very special electrodes.)

http://www.signindustry.com/neon/art...nandFlour.php3

Images
    You can make your own HV meter probes by dividing the voltage by 100:1. Do this with some high value resistors. Don't forget to figure in the volt meters input impedance and the resistor's power rating. Also, keep one hand in your pocket.
    Watch for Loose Gravel

Shooter
    35mm
    When you deal with voltage in excess of 1000V you should use wires that has insulation rating sufficiently to ensure safety. Most wires are rated for 300V or 600V only.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Yea, and now I know why I couldn't get a reading!

I was able to track down the thread over in Graflex.org concerning a replacement Graflarger transformer and after a little detective work found that the one the guy bought is no longer being made. Essentially it was a solid state self regulating transformer of which there appears to be a few around with capabilites up to 15KV and beyond. The problem remains, just what voltage and millamperage did this thing run at? There was a thread that mentioned 3000V, but who knows. I've emails out and a local neon guy to talk to tomorrow.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    if you bring the tube, or head with you, the neon guy can hook up a milliamp meter, and determine which size transformer in about 20 seconds.

erie

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin