Switch to English Language Passer en langue franšaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 75,235   Posts: 1,659,955   Online: 923

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Coldlight Voltage Supply

I pulled apart my 4x5 graflarger to clean things up and noticed that the power cord wiring was brittle and cracked. Upon cutting the cord back to find wiring that was good I wound up cutting it all the way back, and since it is a tar encased enclosure it is now trashed. Does anyone have any idea on just what ballast would be needed to push a cold light or Aristo bulb. I emailed Louise Kessler at Aristo and she either can't or won't tell me. I also asked about buying a power supply if they made them. It's just funny that you manufacture something and don't know what kind of power supply it takes to power it. Spec's on the Graflarger were 115V, 75va, unknown voltage output. I tried checking the voltage but got conflicting readings. Thanks
    Last edited by waynecrider; 06-20-2006 at 06:18 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Cold light heads are florescent lights. Thus, they don't have a transformer, they have a ballast. Instead of changing the voltage up or down as a transformer does, the ballast (which actually is a lot like a transformer, except there is only one winding) limits the current flow of the tube. Also involved is a starter mechanism to allow the initial higher current flow.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    The Graflarger has 2 leads to the tube, most ballast for single tube that I see have 4. Any suggestions?

Shooter
    35mm
    Yes, the common florescent light has a filament on each end. The ballast is in series with the ac power and one side of each filament. The other two leads of each filament go to the starter device. Its job is to open after the tube fires, shutting off the filament current.

I don't know the circuity of the cold lights.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Here's a picture of the tube.

http://www.aristogrid.com/prod02CZ-GRAPHLARGER45.htm

Since there has to be a starter, maybe there is one on either end. Both ends look the same. Is that the way it is with normal flourscents?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by waynecrider
    Here's a picture of the tube.

http://www.aristogrid.com/prod02CZ-GRAPHLARGER45.htm

Since there has to be a starter, maybe there is one on either end. Both ends look the same. Is that the way it is with normal flourscents?
    Wayne,
    I've seen a lot of fluorescents (lots of work in commercial building environments), and only ever noticed one starter per ballast. I can't think of where I've ever seen a second starter without a second ballast as well.

Maybe this helps:
    http://home.howstuffworks.com/fluorescent-lamp4.htm

Chris

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Thanks Chris. The Graflarger must be a rapid start design without a normal starter switch.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    wrong, wrong, wrong, just think neon, as in neon transformer, there should be a rating plate somewhere, typically in thousands of volts and milliamps. Of course take what I say with a grain of salt, I've only worked in the sign trade for 20 years, including working with neon. And am building a cold light head for my 8x10 elwood.

erie

Images
    Erie is onto to something. Cold cathodes are different than conventional fluorescents. Coldlights are light a lamptop backlight, except longer and therefore higher voltage. Be careful measuring the voltage unless you volt meter can take thousands of volts. Check with Mr Neon. He can help. This can probably be fixed.
    Watch for Loose Gravel

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by epatsellis
    wrong, wrong, wrong, just think neon, as in neon transformer, there should be a rating plate somewhere, typically in thousands of volts and milliamps. Of course take what I say with a grain of salt, I've only worked in the sign trade for 20 years, including working with neon. And am building a cold light head for my 8x10 elwood.
    erie

Unfortunetly there is no rating plate, just the input voltage and VA; That's it. I think I'm up the creek here, but would love to work it out. If your making a coldlight head, what's your transformer spec's, not that i would use it. Is the transformer capacity based on tube length or gas that's inside?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  Ś   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin