Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,901   Posts: 1,584,489   Online: 981

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

My new print rack

A couple of weeks ago, I started a thread about building a print rack. I didn't get any specific plans from anyone, but I got a ton of good suggestions. Most importantly, I got the idea that this is a very do-able project. I said I'd post a picture if I was able to make something half way decent.
    And I did it. I kinda pieced it together as I went along (pun intended). It took a few trips to Home Depot, a few hours after work through the week, then about 8 hours over last weekend. I used cheap white pine, which is almost guaranteed to be warped, and nothing quite lines up right. But it's good enough for the purpose.
    It'll hold 12 Zone VI drying screens. I have eight now, and plan to order four more. The only "mistake" I made was using 1X4 for the shelves. Home Depot didn't have any 1X2 last time I went there.
    I've never tried to pose a picture in a thread before. Hope it gets in there.
    Thanks again to everyone for their great ideas. Dean
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC_0021.JPG  
    dphphoto

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Looks good to me , you may need to sandwich the prints between the screens so maybe a little more space between the spacers.
    This will let the air flow more freely over the top and bottom of the prints

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Nice work. It looks like you have a lot of spare place to dry your prints.

Personally, I don't like drying fiber prints on screens, I tape them on glass place that are stacked under my enlarger table.

G

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    You may also consider making your own screens. They are quite inexpensive and easy to do. You can get help from the folks at the Home Depot type places.
    Robert Hall
    www.RobertHall.com
    www.RobertHall.com/mobile
    Apug Portfolio
    Facebook Profile

Technology is not a panacea. It alone will not move your art forward. Only through developing your own aesthetic - free from the tools that create it - can you find new dimension to your work.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Looks great, my drying screens are made from bread trays with screening stapled to them and laid all over the darkroom when I have lots of prints to dry. I need something like this.
    Prints available in the APUG GAllery
    www.gaylarsonphotography.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I use inexpensive canvas stretcher strips ordered from Dick Blick, with plastic screen from the hardware store stretched and stapled over the glued up frames. Then I glue a 1" or so square block of wood to each corner of the frame, allowing me to stack them up on each other while providing air spaces between.

web site: Dan Henderson, Photographer.com

blog: https://danhendersonphotographer.wordpress.com/

I am not anti-digital. I am pro-film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use screens from work. We used to sell windows, they would come in broken at times, pity. Credits were issued and things were thrown away. Anywhere from small bathroom size to sliding patio doors were available. Too bad we stopped selling them. Try a window shop in your town and see if they have "exta" screens left from window orders or damage stuff. tim

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I could give a few more particulars. I've got the screens spaced about 2 inches apart, so there should be plenty of room for air movement. I finished the wood with Minwax oak stain, the kind with polyurethane, so the wood should be reasonably resistant to any water spill.
    I ordered 4 more Zone VI screens from Calumet, so I'll have 12 total. Should be enough, but I've got enough room at the bottom to add more shelves, if necessary, in the future. But...I like the ideas on making screens and on getting them cheap. Dean
    dphphoto

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FirePhoto
    I use inexpensive canvas stretcher strips ordered from Dick Blick, with plastic screen from the hardware store stretched and stapled over the glued up frames. Then I glue a 1" or so square block of wood to each corner of the frame, allowing me to stack them up on each other while providing air spaces between.
    That is a great idea and could work with my bread tray drying screens. thanks
    Prints available in the APUG GAllery
    www.gaylarsonphotography.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Very nice, my rack is much smaller and can only hold approx ten 8x10's (or equiv) but also is all enclosed, features a fan to draw air down air through filters over the prints. It also features a lamp towarm the air in order to help dry the prints should I need them dry in a quick amount of time. I like your rack because its larger, thus eliminating theneed for rapid drying to make more space, nice work, looks good!
    Photography is transforming random distributions of photons into something more, something beautiful.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin