Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,334   Posts: 1,537,515   Online: 1065

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Yankee Sheet Film Tank Use

I finally found a good use for my Yankee Developer Tank

It is useless for developing 4x5 sheet film but useful for washing.

It is excellent for washing two sheets at a time. I fill it with rinse water and insert two sheets of developed and fixed film. The rinse water inplace makes inserting the film easier. One sheet near each edge and none in the middle. I adapted the top cover to hold the hose from the faucet in place. The hose can be extended to the bottom of the tank.

Five minutes later, a fully washed film with no chance of the emulsion being scratched as the grooves hold the film in place.

Has anybody else tried this?

Shooter
    Large Format
    I too use this same tank for film washing.
    To the hose is added a copper tube that has been depressed (squeezed) to make a nozzle that is inserted into the middle film holder (without the top cover). this increases the flow of filtered water using a smaller volume.
    Has worked great for twenty years.
    Beer is God's way of telling us that he loves us and wants us to be happy.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Great Idea, I will try that tonight

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think they ought to market it as a film washer. I just run a soft hose down the centre and adjust the flow rate. Works just like a roll film tank.
    I feel, therefore I photograph.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    That's a good use for it. Another good use is as a planter for small herbs And if you use a selenium toner in your wash, the plants will especially love it.

JLP
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Mine is now used for clearing Polaroid 55 negatives

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Mine went in the trash years ago. In pieces. Dean
    dphphoto

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The only way I can even approach even development using Diafine in mine is to load film in every other slot and slosh the heck out of it when agitating. When I do it enough to get even development, though, it sloshes enough chemistry out of the tank that I have to keep adding more in after every agitation cycle.

I'm going to try a run soon with Pyrocat HD and a 5- or 10-minute presoak and not quite so much agitation. We'll see.

I also use it to wash film, but I use it to wash 4x5 POP prints as well.

I also have made a variation of the PVC pipe hair dryer film dryer that uses a plastic bread loaf container (rubbermaid sort of thing from Wal-Mart) into which I put the Yankee tank to dry 4x5 film and prints. works pretty well.

-KwM-

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have my Yankee tank in dire conditions with long development times, such as Microdol X 1:3. I thought about experimenting with stand or semi stand development. HP5 in Rodinal 1:200 for 2 hours to see happens.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Wash tank was the final destination for my Yankee. Herb planter? DOH! If only I had thunk of it!!!
    Honey, I promise no more searching eBay for cameras.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin