Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,206   Posts: 1,531,856   Online: 943

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by edz
    (the heavy stuff like batteries still get sourced locally but the rest...)..
    Does this mean no grid tie then?

edz

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Zentena
    Back then the enlargers used kerosene lamps. I doubt if "Solar "meant powered by the Sun... Burke and James in the U.S. also had a whole range of enlargers into the 1960s called "Solar".. seems a popular name..
    Edward C. Zimmermann
    BSn R&D // http://www.nonmonotonic.net

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by edz
    Back then the enlargers used kerosene lamps. I doubt if "Solar "meant powered by the Sun... Burke and James in the U.S. also had a whole range of enlargers into the 1960s called "Solar".. seems a popular name..
    Sun powered solar enlargers were used at least 135 years ago. One source dates the Burke & James company from 1897 to the 1970s. Their view cameras still serve me well.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ansal Adams used a solar enlarger at one time, if I recall correctly he stated that it worked rather well in full sunlight or overcast, not so well under partially cloudy skys.

How would you control the exposure time?

Shooter
    35mm
    Solar panels in a dark room are not going to get enough light to put out any usable power... sheesh guys....

Shooter
    35mm RF
    True solar-powered enlargers were indeed made; in one of my old photo books I have a drawing foor making one. I can only assume they were used on days that were uniformly sunny or uniformly cloudy. The light was skylight, run though a mixing chamber, not direct sunlight. The ideal was a north-facing roof-light with a sort of chimney (the mixing chamber) coming down to the back of the (horizontal) enlarger.

Cheers,

Roger

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Great idea, where it works, I live under a rain cloud so it would have to be a one hour photo.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Dear Curt,

Surely you've heard of one-hour minilabs?

Cheers,

R.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Herr Zimmerman, the Cretan government subsides firearms and ammunition. They don't have any money left for other stuff...

The Athenian government subsides pollution and automobiles.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Howell
    Ansal Adams used a solar enlarger at one time, if I recall correctly he stated that it worked rather well in full sunlight or overcast, not so well under partially cloudy skys.

How would you control the exposure time?
    A shutter controlled by a StopClock Vario compensating timer would do the trick ...!

Regards
    Richard

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin