Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,231   Posts: 1,532,884   Online: 1025

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Richard! would you come up with such a device that could run on a solar cell?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by arigram
    Here in Crete we use solar panels to heat up the water.
    I was wondering if there are solar panels that could provide energy
    for a darkroom.
    My electrical equipment consist of a MF multigrade enlarger, an
    RH Analyser Pro, a Jobo CPP-2, an air conditioner, a bathroom
    extractor fan and ofcourse a white light bulb and two small safe lights.
    I imagine the air conditioner and Jobo are probably out as they
    would need too much power but how about the enlarger and lights?
    Is that possible or is the technology too weak still?

My question is, why? What are you hoping to gain by using solar power? I dont know what your electricity costs, but to do what you are thinking about in the US would cost thousands of dollars initially and it would only save a few dozen dollars per year, or less. The technology is certainly there, and if you have deep pockets and plenty of room for the panels you could even power the a/c. Many of my friends live off the grid on solar power (none have a/c). Their systems cost roughly $15,000 but they still have to be very conservative in the use of electricity except during times of peak sunshine. You can get smaller systems for your purposes but it would still not be cost effective even after many years. Of course there are other good reasons for using solar power other than cost, if you can afford the initial investment.

Wayne

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    As our "cold" water here in New Mexico heats up to the upper 70s (F), I'm hoping someone will come up with a Lunar panel to store the cool.
    [COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Chan Tran
    Richard! would you come up with such a device that could run on a solar cell?
    I can't confirm that there's a suitable shutter available, but certainly it's not a problem for the StopClock as its power requirements are quite low. The best way to arrange solar power for electronics is to use the cells to trickle charge a battery. The battery can then supply higher power in the short bursts necessary to actuate an electromechanical device.

This brings a whole new meaning to "sun printing" doesn't it?

Regards
    Richard

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne
    My question is, why?
    My question was more theoritical than practical.
    Even if it was doable, I barely have enough to afford
    my daily crumb of bread.
    But, I was wondering for the future.
    If I manage to earn enough to rebuilt my grandfather's house
    and go live in it, I would have liked to build an environment
    friendly self-supporting system as to create art and live with
    as less possible damage to our planet.
    I have already asked about sea water in a previous thread so
    I keep those questions in mind...
    aristotelis grammatikakis
    www.arigram.gr
    Real photographs, created in camera, 100% organic,
    no digital additives and shit

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Dear Aristotelis,

I wish you the very best of luck in that extremely admirable ambition.

Cheers,

Roger

Shooter
    35mm
    It makes me thinking! 3 large bundles of fiber optic cable on the roof, aiming right at the sun. A dichroic filter and a shutter on each bundle. A mixing chamber....

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by arigram
    If I manage to earn enough to rebuilt my grandfather's house
    and go live in it, I would have liked to build an environment
    friendly self-supporting system as to create art and live with
    as less possible damage to our planet.
    It's possible, but currently a bit on the expensive side. There are also a lot of caveats. For instance, if retrofitting an existing house, the ideal situation is to have a big south-facing roof with an angle that's not too far from the ideal for solar paneling. (That ideal angle varies with your latitude.) If your house, like mine, has a roof that faces east and west rather than north and south, each side will only catch the sun for half the day, which either greatly reduces the time during which the panels can work or doubles the cost (since if you put panels on both sides).

There are other options, but they're also expensive and are not always practical. Small wind turbines work in windy climates, for instance. (I've got a friend who has one of these.) I've even heard of small hydroelectric generators, if your property is on a river or by the sea.

The good news is that the cost of all of these devices is dropping and efficiencies are increasing. With any luck their costs will drop enough for their popularity to go up before too long.

Shooter
    35mm
    I have used solar panel/ battery systems on various boats that I have owned, but they have had meager loads and were 12v.

In the keep it simple train of thought you could get a small panel and a deep cycle battery to run an enlarger that had been converted to 12v. It is the perfect kind of set up because the enlarger load would intermittent.

Converting a condensor enlarger would be pretty strait forward.

A diffusion head like my Saunders is already 12v, you would just need to make sure clean amps were there. I don't have any idea what the consequenses of a low voltage situation (flat battery) would be for the Saunders, perhaps only a color shift and reduction in output. Or maybe it could damage the head, IDK. If somebody knows, maybe they could tell us.

It would be a relativeley cheap and simple way to begin that path, which I too find admirable.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by srs5694
    For instance, if retrofitting an existing house, the ideal situation is to have a big south-facing roof with an angle that's not too far from the ideal for solar paneling.
    And not living in a conservation area. I have a house with a big roof at pretty much the right angle facing dead south, in a sunny area (south of the Loire) -- in the heart of a centuries-old village.

Where's your grandfather's house? And how is Cretan planning law on this sort of thing? (I say 'Cretan' not 'Greek' because there's often a lot of local interpretation...)

Cheers

Roger

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin