Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,302   Posts: 1,536,225   Online: 697

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You don't need to convert the enlarger. Just get an inverter. Yes it adds cost but then you'll be able to use anything that doesn't exceed the power output of the inverter.

Expensive depends on the other options. If you don't already have a power line run to the house the cost of just running the line can be pretty expensive.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Zentena
    You don't need to convert the enlarger. Just get an inverter. Yes it adds cost but then you'll be able to use anything that doesn't exceed the power output of the inverter.

Expensive depends on the other options. If you don't already have a power line run to the house the cost of just running the line can be pretty expensive.
    That is an option, no doubt. However, an inverter is expensive, and on a very small scale such as I have suggested, not particularly effecient.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Between panels, batteries and even cheaper stuff like wiring is a small inverter really going to bust the budget? One small enough for an enlarger shouldn't be that expensive. If you convert the enlarger to 12v wouldn't you need a 12v timer? Plus it would be usefull for any other need. Blackout backup.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Hicks
    And not living in a conservation area. I have a house with a big roof at pretty much the right angle facing dead south, in a sunny area (south of the Loire) -- in the heart of a centuries-old village.
    The last I looked into this (about five years ago), the companies that were making photovoltaic shingles were putting a lot of effort into coming out with products that resembled conventional shingles of various designs. At that time, none could be mistaken for more conventional shingles, but IIRC the goal was to have something that would be nearly indistinguishable once installed. Thus, it's conceivable that they'd be suitable even for historic buildings before too long, at least if the concern is maintaining the historic appearance of the building rather than a strict use of original materials.

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by arigram
    My question was more theoritical than practical.
    Even if it was doable, I barely have enough to afford
    my daily crumb of bread.
    But, I was wondering for the future.
    If I manage to earn enough to rebuilt my grandfather's house
    and go live in it, I would have liked to build an environment
    friendly self-supporting system as to create art and live with
    as less possible damage to our planet.
    I have already asked about sea water in a previous thread so
    I keep those questions in mind...
    I would suggest you consult this link for a reality check concerning the cost vs. capacity of such systems.

http://www.backwoodssolar.com/
    Don Bryant

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Zentena
    Between panels, batteries and even cheaper stuff like wiring is a small inverter really going to bust the budget? One small enough for an enlarger shouldn't be that expensive. If you convert the enlarger to 12v wouldn't you need a 12v timer? Plus it would be usefull for any other need. Blackout backup.
    A quartz clock clicks once a second, which is great for timing exposures and dodging and burning. It has its own small battery which lasts a very long time. Low voltage LED safelights can be improvised.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin