Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,707   Posts: 1,548,506   Online: 905

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Are Rodenstock Omegaron lenses any good?

I just got a bunch of Rodenstock Omegaron lenses (50/3.5 & 75/4.0 & 105/4.0) as part of a small package and I am wondering how good they are? I've never even heard of them. Any idea of age and quality?

Thanks.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I do not have any real information about age other that they are probably early Rodenstock "Rodagons", rebranded (slightly) as "OmegaRONs".
    Most likely sold aftermarket by Omega, or furnished as a package with new enlargers.

Omega had two grades of enlarger lenses ... the OmeGAR and OmegaRON. The "Rons" are identical to the early Rodagons ... and indeed are *fine* lenses.

Uh ... I mean ... er ... well, you can always send them to me. I'll figure out some way to dispose of them. It'll be tough, but I won't charge you anything.

Nice try?? Any chance of it actually working?
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I had some Omegaron,s and after testing them against Nikkor and rodagon I felt they were junk and donated them to a high school. The focus was not as sharp.
    DIGITAL IS FOR THOSE AFRAID OF THE DARK.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If I remember right, the Omegarons are 4 element lenses. With the prices of enlarging glass what they are on eBay right now, I'd pick up a Rodagon. Dean
    dphphoto

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I bought them because they were attached to boards that I needed. So it was a package deal. Maybe I'll just give them away when they arrive.

Images
    Good Evening David,

I use a 90mm Omegaron for my 6 x 7 negatives; I think it would also cover 6 x 9, but that's not a size I normally use. The lens gives excellent prints, at least up to 16 x 20. I'm glad to have it, because 90mm enlarging lenses seem to be much less common than 75mm, 80mm, and 105mm lenses. I purchased it on E-Bay a couple of years ago for a very low price and I find it totally satisfactory.

Konical

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I had an Omegaron 50/3.5 that was absolute trash. It rendered unsharp 4x6 inch prints.

Shooter
    35mm
    I own and use a 90mm f3.5 Omegaron enlarging lens. It covers up to 6x9 cm. It was bougt new in 1968 with my Omega B8XL. As I recall there were 3 options for lenses offered by Omega. The 105mm Omegar with 3 elements and no additional branding was the least expensive. The 90mm Rodenstock Omegaraon with 4 elements was the mid range. The 105mm Rodenstock Rodagon with 6 elements was the top of the line. We (my dad, brother & I)chose the 90mm because it would cover 6x9 which Dad used, 6x6 used by my Brother and combined with the xl girders the 90mm gave slightly cropped 11x14 with 35mm (which I used.) It is a sharp lens even at the extreme elevations I was using. Several years later I bought a 50mm EL Nikkkor. I'm still using the B8 on a regular basis.
    Untill the last Silverhalide Crystal is extinct.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I bought a couple of those (75 and 90mm) as part of a package I wanted on weBay... I wanted the Rodagon 50 only
    The 75 is a decent lens, it rendered pretty sharp enlargements.
    I never compared it to a Nikkor or such but I'm quite happy with it and specially for what I paid for it.

My advice would be to test them yourself and decide.

Quote Originally Posted by david b
    I just got a bunch of Rodenstock Omegaron lenses (50/3.5 & 75/4.0 & 105/4.0) as part of a small package and I am wondering how good they are? I've never even heard of them. Any idea of age and quality?

Thanks.
    Mama took my APX away.....

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I've now listed these in the classifieds.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin