Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 72,556   Posts: 1,599,304   Online: 1043

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by SusanK
    Update: I talked to Calumet today... they don't stock the "old" drive cog. So, they gave me the 800 number for Omega. Talked to "Greg" at Omega... they can special order the "old" drive cog for me. $33 + $15 shipping/handling !!! OR... "Greg" said I could have Calumet special order it for me and probably get it cheaper... either way, it's a 90 wait on back order. So, I call Calumet back and am having them special order it. "Norman" at Calumet said he should be able to get for me 20% cheaper than Omega's cost and half the shipping charge. Still a 90 day wait though.

This is so frustrating that, if I had $1700, I'd just buy a new CPA-2. Then, "Norman" informed me that the CPA-2's have been discontinued. At that point all I could say was, "Well of course they have."

So, I'll pay $40-50 and wait for 90 days for a drive cog that I feel should be included with the $300 lift. This just sucks.

SusanK
    I feel your pain! The above steps should work as long as you don't use the "Expert Drums". To upgrade an older CPA-2 so that it can use the Experts is about $620.00. Since the CPA-2s aren't being made anymore, that might be a good deal. When using that lift, you should always "help" the lift by picking up the tank with your free hand so as to lessen the load on the lift. Are you sure the old lift couldn't be fixed, it may have some value as a "fixer-upper"? Let me know! BTW- do you know your machine's serial #? I have just purchased a "new old stock" CPA-2 with a 2nd revised motor- I can't used my Expert Drums on it without the $600.00 plus upgrade.
    "A certain amount of contempt for the material employed to express an idea is indispensable to the purest realization of this idea." Man Ray

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Changeling1
    I feel your pain! The above steps should work as long as you don't use the "Expert Drums". To upgrade an older CPA-2 so that it can use the Experts is about $620.00. Since the CPA-2s aren't being made anymore, that might be a good deal. When using that lift, you should always "help" the lift by picking up the tank with your free hand so as to lessen the load on the lift. Are you sure the old lift couldn't be fixed, it may have some
    value as a "fixer-upper"? Let me know! BTW- do you know your machine's serial #? I have just purchased a "new old stock" CPA-2 with a 2nd revised motor- I can't used my Expert Drums on it without the $600.00 plus upgrade.
    The CPA-2 that I received "used" has a 12,300-something serial number on it. If I remember correctly, that means it has the first upgrade. It may not have been "made to use w/ expert drums" but, I can say for a fact that the gentleman who left it to me when he died, shot 90% 4x5 and processed them on on this machine w/ an expert drum. He lived/ate/breathed 4x5 !

Prior to subcoming to cancer he told me that he'd considered selling his photographic equipment and donating the money to charity (he had no family) but, would rather give it to someone he knew would use it. This is how I came to have the CPA-2, Bessler MXT enlarger w/ an oriental vc head, Wista 4x5 field camera, and Mamiya 7 w/ a 65mm lens. When he told me about this, all I could say was, "I've spent a total of seven years in college and I don't know the words to express my gratitude." He was an amazing man.

Has anyone hear ever heard of Cal Rayburn from Iowa ? He was a friend of Carl Rumme, who is Allen Rumme's father. I have one of Allen's prints.... "Butte - Big Bend National Park". (number 3)

http://www.allenrumme.com/cart/lrg.p...al+Park&stat=0

That was something else that Cal wanted me to have. I should email Allen and let him know that I have one of his prints hanging in my home.

Anyway, Cal informed me about assisting the lift w/ my free hand when using the expert drum. He most likely put hundreds (if not thousands) of 4x5 sheets through that processor. By the time it came to me, it would leak 150ml of the 500ml that I'd use to process 120 film. I can't remember how much the expert drum leaked. Any amount of which is bad when you're processing w/ PMK, or any kind of pyro. I've gotten that stuff on my skin more than once before I started wearing kitchen gloves... the chemistry leaked into the trough and came in contact w/ the outside of the tank. It amazes me that 15ml of PMK in 4 gallons of water can touch your hand for a few seconds and leave such an annoying metalic taste in your mouth !!! :o

So, I asked a friend and fellow Jobo user to take my tanks and put them on his processor to see if they leaked. Unfortunately, they didn't leak on his machine. So, it's the lift that's bad. I've shown the lift to the same friend. He's very tech savvy and even he said, 'it's shot, trash it and get a new one.'

My decision, since I want to continue shooting/processing my own film for as long as film is available, has been to purchase a new CPP-2 and put the new lift on that. I have now taken my place in line, so to speak, w/ Calumet as all CPP-2's are on back order.

Patiently awaiting it's arrival....

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Susan- I'm glad to hear your friend used the expert drums with his/your CPA-2. The Jobo wording is a bit ambiguous about the absolute need to have the newest motor to use the Expert drums. I suppose some users are much harder on their equipment than others, etc. I know a lot of people don't even bother to level the processor drums properly which puts a major ammount of stress on the rotor motor and lift. My CPA-2 is the second rev. 2 bearing motor also and has never been used. I would have to get the adapter to put my lift on it also.

You might try Freestyle for a CPP-2 if you don't want a long wait. They did have a couple of them recently.

The story of your kind friend is very touching and inspiring. Thanks for sharing it with us.
    "A certain amount of contempt for the material employed to express an idea is indispensable to the purest realization of this idea." Man Ray

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Susan,

Throw out the kitchen gloves. They don't protect you. Get some Nitrile gloves. That taste from the Pyro is very bad for you. I could start a big arguement here if I said you are giving yourself a big cancer risk. There doesn't seem to be much arguement that you should use nitrile gloves rather than latex. Walmart and many good drug stores carry disposable single use nitrile gloves, 40 gloves for less than $5.00. Mail order or eBay are another source.

John Powers
    Last edited by jp80874; 07-20-2006 at 09:58 AM. Click to view previous post history.

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    susan,

you can pm Allen here on Apug as he is a member here. I get messages from him on a regular basis. He has moved to just south of Albq, New Mexico when he retired last January.

lee\c

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin