Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,915   Posts: 1,556,385   Online: 1105

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Paterson Tanks: NOT Indestructable

...as I found out today from a puddle of Rodinal (well, Fomodon R09) all over the table top. Fortunately the leak was small enough that the film inside was unharmed, but I was still stuck continuing through a leaky stop bath, leaky fix, leaky wash.... grr. I can't FIND the crack, but it seems dead-center in the bottom.

After only 18 years of service being rapped and dropped and tossed about, the thing got a tiny crack. What a piece of junk

(Frustration: I probably can't find a replacement on Sunday, and I'm in no mood to dig out the old metal reels)

"What Would Zeus Do?"
    KBPhotoRantPhotoPermitAPUG flickr Robot

Images
    Good Morning, Bjorke,

I had a similar experience back in the 1970's. I followed the usual advice to give the tank a sharp rap on the counter to dislodge air bubbles. I suppose I was a bit too enthusiastic, because the tank cracked and started leaking. Fortunately, I was able to prevent a disaster by holding the tank tightly together throughout the remainder of the processing. The crack, if I recall correctly, was a couple of inches long; I was later able to weld it back together with model cement and subsequently used the tank with no problems. I still have the Patterson tank and reels and could use them if necessary, but I long ago changed over to stainless steel and find it vastly superior.

Konical

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I had one of my (old style) Paterson tanks crack. The top light trap came away from the lid. Probably from all the rapping on the table. I fixed it with crazy glue. It has broken again since, and I just reglue it. I have three other Paterson tanks, all of them more than 15 years old. Bjorke- you are right. What a piece of junk. Only lasted for 20 years before breaking.

I have lots of stainless tanks and reels, and I never use them.
    Rick Jason.
    "I'm still developing"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    With my stainless tank I generally worry more about cracking my sink..
    "Where is beauty? Where I must will with my whole Will; where I will love and perish, that an image may not remain merely an image."

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    To be fair: the crack came not from normal use and rapping on the counter, but from being accidentally knocked off the table, being tossed across the room, and falling onto the hard floor.

It's just like the book of Job, I'm tellin' ya.

"What Would Zeus Do?"
    KBPhotoRantPhotoPermitAPUG flickr Robot

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by bjorke
    ...as I found out today from a puddle of Rodinal (well, Fomodon R09) all over the table top. Fortunately the leak was small enough that the film inside was unharmed, but I was still stuck continuing through a leaky stop bath, leaky fix, leaky wash.... grr. I can't FIND the crack, but it seems dead-center in the bottom.

After only 18 years of service being rapped and dropped and tossed about, the thing got a tiny crack. What a piece of junk

(Frustration: I probably can't find a replacement on Sunday, and I'm in no mood to dig out the old metal reels)
    IF you buy this system new- Paterson has (or did have) a lifetime warranty on their tanks. I've gone through several "pieces of junk" ( ) over the years and when they started leaking I'd simply take the tank back to Freestyle or Calumet where I was always cheerfully
    given a new tank. I only had problems with the 8 reel tanks. The store would then send the leaker back to Paterson and be credited accordingly. My original two
    -reel Paterson tank and plastic reels which I bought in 1977 still work flawlessly due to the much smaller volume of the chemistry needed for a small tank thus lessening the stress the tank receives when being tapped on a hard counter-top.
    "A certain amount of contempt for the material employed to express an idea is indispensable to the purest realization of this idea." Man Ray

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Unlike you oldtimers I've not been using Paterson tanks that long :-)

I've only ever had one tank fail it split during processing an important 8 rolls of 35mm film from a commercial shoot, partially fogging some frames adjacent to the split, that was in the mid 70's, I no longer use the 8 reel tanks !

More seriously Paterson tanks are excellent I must have 15+ of various sizes, not counting earlier versions going back to the first models which are long retired :-)

I think I first used a Paterson tank in 1962.

Ian

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by bjorke

You should write them post-haste and demand a replacement or you will let everyone on the internet know what crap they sell...
    Patrick

something witty and profound needs to be inserted here...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My first tank was Hama. First time I dropped it from my hands, it broke. And it wasn't even full, it was after developing, when I washed it. But I would like to have its type of reel im my Jobo tank. Loading 120 film (and 35mm) was child play with Hama reel... Unfortunatelly Hama reel can't be put in Jobo tank

So question: since I am used to Jobo tank (as amateur I have only one), is it wise to stay with them or get Paterson? I will buy few more tanks in next month or so, so this is time to ask

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I had eight 120 films to develop yesterday, and two tanks: A Jobo and a Paterson. Three reels for the Jobo, three for the Paterson.

Even if the Jobo reels are designed to take two 120 films end-to-end, it's a lot easier to do on the Paterson reels. I ended up doing six films in the three Paterson reels, ans the last two in separate runs in the Jobo.

The way you load the reels is very similar, but the paterson reels are in a different class. BTW, I attach roll 2 to the end of roll 1 with the tape already on the film, just rip it off the backing paper and stick it to the next roll.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin