Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,711   Posts: 1,548,641   Online: 1125

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    In case anyone needs them, I have the Taunobox mirror diffusion boxes for 4x5'' and 35mm and a spare Taunodap box holder to sell (I have the lab 1200 and will never use them). The boxes are brand new. Whoever might need them, just PM me.
    I know a chap who does excellent portraits. The chap is a camera.
    (Tristan Tzara, 1922)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Color head - gutted

Quote Originally Posted by Denis P. View Post
    Judging from the condition of the head, my priorities are as follows:

1) Clean the inside of the head and remove as much rust as possible, avoiding any liquid cleaners.

2) Replace frayed cables inside the head - those leading to the lamps.
    Well, I'm on my way - wish me luck...

I gutted the head - I wonder if I'll have any leftover parts when (or IF) I put it back together

Replacement builbs are here - 7 days from USA to Croatia - record time!

I can recommend Ron Miller (where I got the replacements from): http://www.replacementlightbulbs.com/lampejl.html

The head itself is rather simple - reminds me of an old Meopta color head I saw once - lots of solid metal and very little electronics...

BTW, anyone know what those three electronic parts could be: resistors or something?
    I'll have to try remove the grime and see if there's anything written on those - looks like they need replacing

Denis
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Durst_L1000_head-parts-01.JPG   Durst_unknown.JPG  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    They do look like power resistors. And they do look a bit like they are at the end of long and rather unhappy life. The block they are connected to looks pretty bad, there shouldn't be that much corrosion in an enlarger head. And some of the wiring looks burned.

Do you have an ohmeter? It doesn't look like you will be able to read the values.

What is the connector block used for?
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Lindan View Post
    They do look like power resistors. And they do look a bit like they are at the end of long and rather unhappy life. The block they are connected to looks pretty bad, there shouldn't be that much corrosion in an enlarger head. And some of the wiring looks burned.

Do you have an ohmeter? It doesn't look like you will be able to read the values.

What is the connector block used for?
    Thanks for the help, Nicholas.

The connector block is fed by 24V current from the transformer, and has two 24V 200W halogen bulbs attached to it. And then there are these three green fellas.

Those are definitely resistors - after cleaning them up a bit, I managed to decypher the following:
    ====

CGS
    1 (ohm - I don't know how to insert the "Omega" symbol )
    5%
    72 47

===

I hope this means something to you - only the 1 ohm means anything to me

The multimeter goves readings in the range of 1 ohm (I think)...

Like you said, this color head (Durst/Pavelle 401 MK II) seems to have had a long and unhappy life, judging from the amount of various deposits inside. But, I'm determined to bring it back to life

Any help (electronics or otherwise) is appreciated.

Denis

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Transformer is working :)

Just tested the power supply/transformer/analyzer combo today. The main power/control/analyzer unit seems to be working OK. When I press "Expose" button, the fan powers up, and the main power leads to the head give a reading of 28V, for the selected exposure duration. So, the whole power "box" seems to be working OK.

I'm just curious about those 28V - shouldn't it be 24V? I mean, the EJL bulbs are rated at 24V / 200W.... ?

I've solved the mystery of those three green elements - wire resistors indeed. 1 Ohm, 3 of them in parallel. They seem to be still performing their intended function - combined reading gives something like 0.8 Ohm, which is about right, as I'm told (by those more knowledgeable in electronics)...

So, the next step is clening the contacts of rust and grime deposits and replacing any damaged cords/contacts....

The end is in sight - just need to get replacement ceramic lamp bases (lampholders). These old ones aren't to be trusted, given the condition of the rest of the wires/contacts...

Looks like this one might be usable after all

Denis

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The fan should be running all the time. At least on mine it does. OTOH my powersupply isn't likely the stock one. But still no reason to turn the fan off when the lights are off.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Zentena View Post
    The fan should be running all the time. At least on mine it does. OTOH my powersupply isn't likely the stock one. But still no reason to turn the fan off when the lights are off.
    I haven't tested the possible combinations of switches - it was just a brief test to see if the transformer (power unit) works at all.

One more brief question: how does your diffuser look like - the one at the bottom of the 401 head?
    I mean the one that goes into drawer on the right side (when facing the enlarger head from the front) - mine has TWO plexy sheets (milky white), and those two pieces seem not to be original - well, at least the second one doesn't, since it's taped over the original one...
    I can post a photo if required. Just curious whether I can remove the extra plexy sheet...

Denis

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've got to go look to be sure but it's sort of like a little book. Two pieces that are folded over. This way you can stick a filter between the two.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Zentena View Post
    I've got to go look to be sure but it's sort of like a little book. Two pieces that are folded over. This way you can stick a filter between the two.
    Yep, that's it - it's original, then

I thought it might be some kind of DIY solution...

Thanks,

Denis

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Denis P. View Post
    I'm just curious about those 28V - shouldn't it be 24V? I mean, the EJL bulbs are rated at 24V / 200W.... ?
    Hello Denis. Either one of the following:

1) Load. You may have read the value without any load, with the power supply running idle. Once the lamp is attached and turned on, the voltage may drop.

2) Tolerance. All electronic circuits are designed with (usually large) tolerances. Once you're inside a 10% (in most cases 20%) tolerance, you're still OK. See the resistor you posted above: it declares "1 Ohm" but that "5%" means that the actual value could indeed float from 0.95 to 1.05 Ohms. However, that will not harm the circuit.
    I know a chap who does excellent portraits. The chap is a camera.
    (Tristan Tzara, 1922)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin