Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,735   Posts: 1,515,483   Online: 1053

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I have a Summitek 20 x 24 washer that is very conservative with water but must be level to work well. I plan to keep it but you should check them out. You can wash any smaller size in it as well. I find that the water pressure/flow to the washer must be fairly consistent or it might overflow but I have only experienced that once.
    Jerold Harter MD

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Quote Originally Posted by Brett Spencer
    I'm running a custom printing business that puts out around a dozen prints of whatever size, both fiber and RC, in a day. I'm doing 1-hour wash times for my fiber and I'd like to be able to walk away from the washer with a number of prints in it without worrying about the prints stacking up on each other and staying dirty. Since I offer 20x24 sizes, I figured the best washer for me would be one that would hold them.
    It's true that I only make 20x24 prints every few months. If I can find a 16x20 washer that would allow me to bend a 20x24 over into two slots and keep it underwater, I'd be happy with that. My sink space is such that a stand-up washer would be the most useful.
    Thanks for the interest and for overlooking the fact that I should have posted this request in the Wanted section.

Brett
    you have the right idea. If you do that size, it is best to get that size of washer..if you can find one and afford one. I'm not sure of your idea to use a 16x20 in the way you described for 20x24..I don't think you will get a proper wash. However, you could use the 16x20 for everything else and the occasional 20x24 you print, you could just suck it up and do it as you are now...but change your process. Use a hypo clearing agent, like permaWash (VERY cheap) and cut your times to 5-5-5 (prewash-permaWash-final wash).

Now if you want a 16x20, I have a Zone VI for sale. Email me at webehi2@yahoo.com and put print washer in subject line.
    [FONT=Times New Roman][COLOR=Red]Friends don't let friends shoot digital.[/FONT][/COLOR]

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I just said to heck with it and bought a new Calumet 20x24 vertical washer this year. I had read good reviews about it. I really don't like 'jury rigging' anything. I will use it in the bathtub to hold the weight and level it with shims. Hose fittings will fit on the b'room sink. I feel that the plexiglass sides of the Calumet are too thin. I believe they are 3/8ths thick, but for this size that is a little thin. I wish they were 1/4". When I got the washer, it had take a blow to the side by UPS and it cracked the 3/8th size wall - punched a fist-sized hole in it. Calumet sent a new one overnight for free - fantastic customer support. But, I still wish it were thicker on the sides. Other than that it seems like a fine piece of equipment. It is very fucntional and cosmetically beauitful.

Even on eBay, used ones are expensive. Even used 16x20 archival washers can hardly be had for under $300 these days. Is there a resurgance in darkroom work or something?

-Mike

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I would put in a vote for the Calumet Deluxe 20x24 Archival Print Washer http://www.calumetphoto.com/item/GW4024.html
    Twelve slots, 31 inch x 23 inch foot print, $780 new, got mine 65% off and slightly used on eBay. You can put prints in as you make them, walk away and just run a trickle through it if you want.

That is assuming the paper will take long immersion. There was a thread recently about a Kentmere paper that needed to have limited time in the water. I use Kentmere VC Fiber and some sheets spend much of the day there as I work. Each slot drains away from the others so fixer will not migrate.

John Powers

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Howell
    Eugene Smith used 3 trays stacked one on top of the other, the top tray's siphon was connected to the tap, it filtered down to the second tray which then fed the bottom tray, prints moved from the bottom to the middle, and then to the top tray for the final wash. With three trays you should be able to keep the prints separated with a single 20X24 foot print.
    In past years a rack was available to stack three trays: Tray-Rak by Richard Mfg. Co. of Fernandina, Florida. They may show up on ebay or elsewhere, or could be improvised.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jeroldharter
    I have a Summitek 20 x 24 washer that is very conservative with water but must be level to work well. I plan to keep it but you should check them out. You can wash any smaller size in it as well. I find that the water pressure/flow to the washer must be fairly consistent or it might overflow but I have only experienced that once.
    I have used these for several years as well. They work great, use very little water.

The trick to keeping them from overflowing is to have a siphon hose that runs well below the washer so that the effluent leaving the washer uses gravity to pull the water out. I have mine on a stand outside my sink and have the drain tube in the drain below the sink.

This is an image from my old darkroom, but gives you the idea. Sorry, image is sideways.

http://roberthall.com/dr/pages/DSCF0153.htm

They are made locally, here in Salt Lake City. This one here is custom to handle a full sheet of Platine for pt printing.

Check out the site...

http://www.summitek.com/

Holy cow! He changed the site! It's almost not boaring anymore! lol

Steve's a good guy and his print washers are great.
    Robert Hall
    www.RobertHall.com
    www.RobertHall.com/mobile
    Apug Portfolio
    Facebook Profile

Technology is not a panacea. It alone will not move your art forward. Only through developing your own aesthetic - free from the tools that create it - can you find new dimension to your work.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    For some ideas here is a PDF how to build them:

http://www.schwarzweiss-magazin.de/pdf/barytwascher.pdf

unfortunately for the most readers, it's in German language.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I just took a quick look at eBay and found a Versalab washer.
    Click here.
    Simple design, inexpensive and I've used one before. Fixer migration from one slot to another is still a problem. The description also says there's an accessory available to allow a few 20x24 prints.
    Has anyone an opinion on this washer and the 20x24 accessory?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It is just a wash tub with inserts, all of your prints will need to be washed at the same time. You can make one by buying a fiber glass mop sink and find some thin plastic to cut in the separators, drill holes for water cirulation, glue them to the sides of the sink, and add hoses for water from the tap and outlet to the drain.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    If you buy a used one you should try to pick it up yourself as the shipping is over $100.00 for the 20x24s and rarely do the washers make it to their destination without getting broken. Calumet and Summitek are aware of the problems of shipping these items and will send a replacement quickly but private sellers can be difficult to deal with when the deal goes south due to shipping damages. It once took me 3 1/2 months to get refunded a couple hundred dollars from a private seller!

The shipping companies are all about speed and treat heavy, fragile items with very little care.

I once drove from L.A. to the S.F. Bay in one 12 hour round-trip to pick up a very nice Zone VI 20x24! It was time well spent as those 20x24" Zone VI washers are as hard to find as they are to ship!
    "A certain amount of contempt for the material employed to express an idea is indispensable to the purest realization of this idea." Man Ray

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin