Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,206   Posts: 1,531,805   Online: 825

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

In need of a 20x24 print washer

I'm in Denver Colorado and need to replace my 20x24 tray and siphon hose with a real washer. I've discovered that plexiglass is awfully expensive and I expect that building my own will be too costly. Anyone looking to sell off an old one?
    I could also use two more 20x24 Patterson trays.

Brett Spencer

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Are you churning out those 20x24s 8 to 12 hours a day
    seven days a week? Perhaps you are at it now and then
    and have only a few to wash? What is it? Dan

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I would go for tray washing if at all possible. Those huge print washers are just too damn expensive.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Know anybody that is coming up to Seattle, or Victoria BC so you could avoid shipping and I could avoid packing? Vertical washers do take up a lot less space, so how much space do you have available towards a horizontal washer?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I'm running a custom printing business that puts out around a dozen prints of whatever size, both fiber and RC, in a day. I'm doing 1-hour wash times for my fiber and I'd like to be able to walk away from the washer with a number of prints in it without worrying about the prints stacking up on each other and staying dirty. Since I offer 20x24 sizes, I figured the best washer for me would be one that would hold them.
    It's true that I only make 20x24 prints every few months. If I can find a 16x20 washer that would allow me to bend a 20x24 over into two slots and keep it underwater, I'd be happy with that. My sink space is such that a stand-up washer would be the most useful.
    Thanks for the interest and for overlooking the fact that I should have posted this request in the Wanted section.

Brett

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have 20"x28" in the sink (it's actually a white pvc shower basin), ~9"x40" on the 2x8 board I put around my sink, or roughly 25"x30" on the counter next to the sink.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The lowest priced vertical washer is the Versalab. They are in your area - Loveland, CO. But buying new is still expensive - the 16x20 with a 20x24 insert is still near $500. Ouch! (For comparison, the Calumet 20x24 is around $800) The Versalab has had mixed reviews - I think because it has to be quite level for the siphon to work properly, plus it's an all at once deal - no isolated sections like the more expensive washers.

Bob
    "I always take a camera, That way I never have to say 'Gee, look at that - I wish I had a camera'" -Joe Clark, H.B.S.S.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Eugene Smith used 3 trays stacked one on top of the other, the top tray's siphon was connected to the tap, it filtered down to the second tray which then fed the bottom tray, prints moved from the bottom to the middle, and then to the top tray for the final wash. With three trays you should be able to keep the prints separated with a single 20X24 foot print.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    [QUOTES=Brett Spencer]
    "I'd like to be able to walk away from the washer with
    a number of prints in it without worrying about the prints
    stacking up on each other and staying dirty."

That also worried me. So, I found some hydrophobic
    extremely permeable sheet material and cut it to fit the
    bottom of the tray. A sheet goes on bottom, twixt each
    print, and on top of stack. For more than one print two
    trays are used. Three or four transfers are made
    within the next twelve or so hours. Very little
    water is needed.

"It's true that I only make 20x24 prints every few months."

That large a washer, unless suited to smaller prints,
    would be just taking up space. And no small amount.
    With water two hundred plus pounds. Dan

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by dancqu

That also worried me. So, I found some hydrophobic
    extremely permeable sheet material and cut it to fit the
    bottom of the tray.

[COLOR=Sienna]Okay, I'm imagining a stiff synthetic loose weave mesh cloth.[/COLOR]

Three or four transfers are made
    within the next twelve or so hours.

[COLOR=Sienna]Not sure what is being transferred to what here.And a twelve hour wash time? Don't you get problems with paper damage?[/COLOR]

Very little
    water is needed.

[COLOR=Sienna]I like that! If I can reduce my water consumption, I'm happy![/COLOR]

That large a washer, unless suited to smaller prints,
    would be just taking up space. And no small amount.
    With water two hundred plus pounds. Dan
    [COLOR=Sienna]Okay, I'm finding myself feeling convinced that adding a large, heavy, expensive, water-wasting appliance to my darkroom isn't the great idea I thought it was. Can you elaborate on the aforementioned washing technique--or direct me to a discussion of it elsewhere?
    Thanks to you and the others who have responded with great suggestions!
    Brett[/COLOR]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin