Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,698   Posts: 1,482,558   Online: 907

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by df cardwell
    We DO have a network of sorts, and can help each other move stuff around for mutual benefit.
    Not that I am on the outlook for an 8x10" enlarger, but... what about some kind of Heads Up thread of some sort, giving tips on things that are going down the dumpster or on fire sale? Even if I don't think we'll ship a lot of heavy enlargers world-wide, but there's always smaller things that can be of interest...
    “Do your work, then step back. The only path to serenity.” - Lao Tzu

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Space isnt too big of an issue. I have a darkroom/studio planned, the issue is the usefulness of the enlarger for my needs. People always say, get the biggest and best you can...well I have the biggest I can find.....the best is yet to be determined....

Yeah, I love the size of a larger negative, but anything over 4X5 for me would be counter productive. I currently shoot wet-plate up to whole plate size and when I go on location with the whole plate set-up, Im really restricted to where I can freely go. Its a little easier with my smaller 1/2 plate camera and mini-darkroom, but it is still a limited travel operation.

Ive been tied to the car/truck/jeep/trailer long enough! My thoughts were to get a decent 4X5 setup that I could backpack in with. One decent sized pack and off I could go. I realize that some people do pack in the 8X10 gear, but I really just want the satisfaction of being able to throw on a lightwieght pack and head to where Id like.
    Ill pass on the heavier/larger gear, if carrying in a 4X5 would allow me a better scene to shoot, or just the quietness of a secluded image, waiting to be captured.

Im gonna decied which road to take with this enlarger hopefully today. I wanted the opinions of you guys and gals...the ones that "know" better than I.

chris
    Chris M
    ~Wet-Plate Collodion Artist~
    North Carolina

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by df cardwell
    A studio in town needed to put several durst 8x10 enlargers in the dumpster because he was moving to a new facility and he hadn't been able to GIVE the things away: nobody was willing to pay for them to be shipped !
    I would certainly be willing to pick one or two up and help out in a situation like this...

Shooter
    Large Format
    If you are sure that 4X5 is as large as you are likely to go then it really makes no sense to have an 8X10 enlarger. Bigger negatives do not necessarily equate with better prints. A great deal depends on the ability of the photographer and the printer.

I think the more logical question that you need to ask and answer is what size prints do you wish to produce? You may not see any discernible difference between a 4X5 negative enlarged to 11X14 and an 8X10 enlarged to the same size.

When you get into 16X20 and larger prints, you will probably start seeing some difference. I feel that for my purposes that the upper limit of 4X5 is a 16X20 print. It I were enlarging 8X10 I could achieve the same result up to 32X40. Do I like 32X40 prints? No, not really. But everyone is different.

I shoot both 8X10 and 4X5. 8X10 is just simply more of a PITA. The film costs more, the lenses cost more, lens selection is more limited.

Now I am not knocking someone who wants to shoot large negatives...but large is not always the answer.
    Art is a step from what is obvious and well-known toward what is arcane and concealed.

Visit my website at http://www.donaldmillerphotography.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Most of what I shoot is on 4X5 but there are some subjects that just beg for the 8X10. I had my 8X10 enlarger mounted next to the 4X5 for over a year before I had an 8X10 camera. And besides that enlarger will do anything from 10X10 down to 110. It may become your main enlarger.
    DIGITAL IS FOR THOSE AFRAID OF THE DARK.

DKT

hey chris---if you decide to get rid of it, and want to take a tax writeoff...drop me a line. with thousands of 8x10 negs and glass plates, the state museum & archive's photo lab(s) would be a good home for it. someone donated an 8x10 Elwood a few years ago, and we drove several hours to pick it up, only to find they had slightly misrepresented it's condition--it needs work, but we took it anway. I'd love to have a Durst to work with. It would come in handy for making the enlarged proofs they use in the historic register survey work as well. I'm serious--if you find you want to get rid of it, and you can't sell it or find a home for it, give us a call. we'll come & pick it up.

p.s. I think I met you a few years ago at a renactment at the state capitol--you were selling tintypes & ambrotypes if I recall....you might not remember me, but I was shooting it for the state....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I do remember speaking to you I believe. I will definitely give you a call if it looks like Im not going to keep it. Some of the points made here as far as keeping it has some merit, and I guess its just time for me to make a decision.

PM a contact number just in case if you dont mind. If I cant use it and decide that I would simply be wasting its usefulness, Id love to donate it to you guys.

chris
    Chris M
    ~Wet-Plate Collodion Artist~
    North Carolina

Shooter
    35mm
    I have some strange advice. Use it for whatever size you shoot. The fact that it is an 8x10 enlarger does not make it less useful for medium format.
    Claire (Ms Anne Thrope is in the darkroom)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Keep it!! What if someday you do get an 8X10 camera. Who says you'll so easily fall into another 8X10 enlarger again?
    I've wanted one for years, but don't have the money or space. Good thing I like contact prints. Dean
    dphphoto

Shooter
    Large Format
    Give it to someone who will use it like DKT. The glass plates are calling...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin