Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,775   Posts: 1,484,509   Online: 790

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

what should I do with this 8X10 beast?!?!?!?

Hello all! Ive been lurking for a while, contemplating the move to:
    1. shoot larger format film instead of just wet-plate glass negs/ambros/tintypes
    AND
    2. setting up a darkroom be able to print larger negs.

Well, Ive still not purchased a LF camera outfit (would love to find a good used 4X5 setup) as Ive hardly had time to breath with me getting married and building a house this summer, much less try and find a good camera kit.

What I have done is acquire an enlarger with lenses and most of a darkroom setup. Here is the kicker....the enlarger is a durst super chromega F 8X10...BIG...with lenses....I also picked up an 8ft stainless sink.

Here is the delima.....what to do?

I dont plan on printing from anything larger than 4X5 (and I have a 4X5 enlarger from the printing lab I worked at 10 years ago) but the thought of an 8X10 enlarger was cool....till I picked it up and drove it home. Now Im just not sure what I should do....use it....or try and sell it or trade it for a 4X5 kit....

Most of the printing Ill be doing will be med format (my trusty Yahsica's) and 4X5..with some 35mm.

Now that I have this beast....what have I done!!!!

Confused and frustrated.
    chris
    Chris M
    ~Wet-Plate Collodion Artist~
    North Carolina

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by cmorganf64
    ...Ive hardly had time to breath with me getting married and building a house this summer, ...
    Build an addition to the house for a darkroom which will make us all envious.
    My Verito page

Anyone can appreciate a fine print. But it takes a real photographer to appreciate a fine negative.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    well, I have in the works a separate darkroom building/studio but Im just not sure if Ive gotten more than I need to do what I want to do....

This 7-8 foot monster may just be a bit too big for me. Ill have the space, just not sure if I need this, or would be better off just using my bess 45.

chris
    Chris M
    ~Wet-Plate Collodion Artist~
    North Carolina

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The size of an 8x10 enlarger seems to make for a special challenge. Not sure what the market is like right now, but are you sure you'll not decide you want it? If you're never going to shoot 8x10 and enlarge, then maybe it just isn't worth keeping it around. But if you are...don't lose the enlarger. Might not be easy to find one the next time around. Just a thought.

I dream of having an 8x10 camera and enlarger, but my style of shooting is a strange mix of technically oriented and whimsical disregard for technique, so the freedom of multiple exposures on roll film is probably more in keeping with my work. Which is to say, I've thought about the move but decided it doesn't really make sense for me. Not sure what I would do if I actually had the enlarger, though. Might have to get a camera and have a go at it anyway.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Boy to bad we are on opposite sides of the country, I have a complete 4x5 setup I would gladly trade you for the 8x10 set up, seems as if everytime and 8x10 setup gets mentioned it is thousands of mile away,,,,,, Darn!

Dave

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Hang on to it, if you have the space. If you've got the enlarger and start shooting 4x5", I suspect that 8x10" won't be too far behind, or how about a 6x24cm camera? Meanwhile you can take advantage of the longer column for big enlargements from smaller formats. It should be more solid than a 4x5" enlarger, even if you only use it for 4x5". You'll also be able to make enlarged proof sheets from smaller formats (i.e.--proof a whole roll of 35mm or 120 on a 16x20" sheet).
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    The size is a problem. A 26,000 sq. ft. studio folded up here a couple years ago and by the end they were having a fire sale. I had a hernia surgey one day before I discovered things could be bought cheap. If I could have moved it, the guy would have given me a four bay, stainless developing sink with temp controls on each tray. I drove by the last day and two 8x10 enlargers were next to the dumpster waiting to be trash. If I had been in physical shape, I could have stripped some useful things. The enlargers were very, very big...EC

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A lot of us accumulate stuff... which is an understatement for an 8x10 enlarger.

We COULD set up a sort of clearing house here.... or use the Classifieds for the purpose.

A studio in town needed to put several durst 8x10 enlargers in the dumpster because he was moving to a new facility and he hadn't been able to GIVE the things away: nobody was willing to pay for them to be shipped !

We DO have a network of sorts, and can help each other move stuff around for mutual benefit.
    "One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Shooter
    35mm
    I think you got the enlarger for a good price so I think you should sell it for money.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Try finding someone in your area or some place you visit with an 8x10 camera. Wish you were closer. Compose on that big beautiful ground glass. Look at the detail in the 8x10 negatives. Blow a negative up to 16x20 L O O K at that detail. Maybe that person with the 8x10 camera wants to print negatives. Start your own 8x10 club, share the wealth.

I took a workshop three years ago with two 4x5 shooters, a 5x7 and two 8x10 shooters. I got negative size envy. I tried it, liked it and won't go back until I can't set it up any more.

Enjoy.
    John Powers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin