Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,953   Posts: 1,522,754   Online: 990

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

I need a voltage stabilizer...

Ended up getting a Beseler Dichro 67s instead of the Nikor enlarger I made a thread about earlier.

It didn't come with any sort of Voltage Stabilizer, and to buy one new from B&H for my enlarger, I am looking at $160usd.

Can anyone make any reccomendations on what would work? The bulb is rated at 85watts/82volts so I assume I need a stabilizer that is rated for about 100 watts just to be safe? I've also read about people using UPS devices made for computers to keep their enlargers regulated. I'm going to check out what they have at the computer store but I thought I'd ask here before.

edit- I've found this:

Vivek regulator Model 110

"750W, Input 105-129V. Output 100V"

So I assume it can handle up to 750W bulbs, the 105-129v rating is suitable for my north american 120v plug, but I'm confused about the output of 100V. The beseler 67s head is described as being a 120v head, and I'm pretty sure it has a built in power supply to turn that down to 82volts for the bulb? A bit confused here...

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by rjas
    Ended up getting a Beseler Dichro 67s instead of the Nikor enlarger I made a thread about earlier.

It didn't come with any sort of Voltage Stabilizer, and to buy one new from B&H for my enlarger, I am looking at $160usd.

Can anyone make any reccomendations on what would work? The bulb is rated at 85watts/82volts so I assume I need a stabilizer that is rated for about 100 watts just to be safe? I've also read about people using UPS devices made for computers to keep their enlargers regulated. I'm going to check out what they have at the computer store but I thought I'd ask here before.

edit- I've found this:

Vivek regulator Model 110

"750W, Input 105-129V. Output 100V"

So I assume it can handle up to 750W bulbs, the 105-129v rating is suitable for my north american 120v plug, but I'm confused about the output of 100V. The beseler 67s head is described as being a 120v head, and I'm pretty sure it has a built in power supply to turn that down to 82volts for the bulb? A bit confused here...

You do not want a power supply that has a 100 volt output unless you want to buy bulbs in large quantities.

What you want is a power supply that will transform 120 VAC to 82 Volt VAC. It should have a 150 VA rating. If you plan on printing color the power supply should be stabilized to prevent color shifts. If you plan on printing only black and white it is not necessary to have a stabilized supply...although you could use one if you wanted.

The other option would be to switch to another type lamp that operates on 120VAC rather then the 82-85 volt halogen that you have now. If you did that you would no longer need a power supply. That would only be applicable if you printed black and white.

You might check with Bulbman if you decide to explore a different lamp. WWW.Bulbman.com

Good luck.
    Art is a step from what is obvious and well-known toward what is arcane and concealed.

Visit my website at http://www.donaldmillerphotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rjas

Which Beseler Dichro 67s head did you get?

There are two (possibly 3) versions. One of them has the Voltage Stabilized power supply built in.

Does your Dichro 67s head have a regular power plug, or a proprietary one?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing
    Which Beseler Dichro 67s head did you get?

There are two (possibly 3) versions. One of them has the Voltage Stabilized power supply built in.

Does your Dichro 67s head have a regular power plug, or a proprietary one?

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1

From what I can make out, it looks like a regular plug. Its in the mail on its way to me right now so I can't actually check it in person.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    My LPL 6700 also has an 82v 85w lamp but runs off 120v AC and does not have a separate power supply so any voltage conversion is done in the head. If you want to stabilise the voltage, you will need a 120v stabiliser.

Although I am in the UK with 230v mains power, I got the enlarger via someone who moved here from Canada (and brought the enlarger with him) so I use it with a 230 - 120 step down transformer but no stabiliser.

Steve.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith
    My LPL 6700 also has an 82v 85w lamp but runs off 120v AC and does not have a separate power supply so any voltage conversion is done in the head. If you want to stabilise the voltage, you will need a 120v stabiliser.

Although I am in the UK with 230v mains power, I got the enlarger via someone who moved here from Canada (and brought the enlarger with him) so I use it with a 230 - 120 step down transformer but no stabiliser.

Steve.
    I'm fairly certain that is the same with my enlarger, but I should wait for a proper response.

So the "750W, Input 105-129V. Output 100V" stabilizer would or wouldn't work? I assume it won't blow bulbs because the enlarger will convert the 100v down to 82v in it's head, but do I need exactly 120v output or would 100v output be fine? I am so bad with electrical stuff!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    If the enlarger comes with a standard mains plug then it will be designed to work on standard mains. It should have a label on it somewhere with voltage, power, serial number, etc. This will probably say something like 'Supply Voltage 110 - 120 VAC 60Hz'. If so, it will be fine with domestic mains and no separate stabiliser.

Steve.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    .... but to answer your actual question, yes, the stabiliser you mentioned should work but would probably not be necessary.

Steve.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    ok, what I should have said in the first place is:

I want a voltage stabilizer for my enlarger. I know that my dichro head has a power supply built in, but I want the stabilizer for consistency in prints (the vaccum / dryer / etc dims my lights when it turns on) especially since I want to do colour printing sooner or later. I'm assuming that the 67S dichro heads that Mark mentioned that have the stabilizer built in are the newer ones with the black face, possibly the S2 models (from checking B&H), mine is the older grey faced one.

I'm gonna buy that stabilizer, (something like $20 bucks) unless I can find one locally from a PC store that has an on off switch on it. I want to use a metronome as a timer, and don't want to resort to plugging the enlarger in and out of a socket to turn it on and off.

Who knew buying an enlarger would entail me asking so many questions!??! Thanks again

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    run a search on ebay for a Beseler Resistrol voltage regulator. I've seen them on ebay a number of times new in the box. But remember, NEVER use a voltage regulator with a Zone VI cold-lite head- only the Zone VI stabilizer will work and not wreck the head.
    "A certain amount of contempt for the material employed to express an idea is indispensable to the purest realization of this idea." Man Ray

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin