Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,966   Posts: 1,523,366   Online: 1218

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Optical Instruments (Balham), misleadingly now in Croydon just outside London, do a lot of work for the Ministry of Defence and are as good as anyone can be. They cleaned my 50/1.2 Canon, transforming its performance , and they have done a lot of work for other people I know too: I have never heard a word against them. I visited the workshop for an article I did for the BJP a few years back and was well impressed. As soon as I get around to it I shall send my 35/2.8 PC-Nikkor and 90/2.5 Vivitar Series 1 Macro to them. They really are very good indeed.

Cheers,

Roger (www.rogerandfrances.com)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I know it has been said before, but have you contacted Schneider. Their repair folks are Century Optics in Van Nuys CA. John Sioringas (probably horribly mis-spelled) is the service manager. He's a great guy, although a bit difficult to get on the phone, but seems quite willing to be of help. Give him a call!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Assume it's a "normal" clean and not a fungus issue, why not the same people we would trust to do a CLA on a quality view lens (i.e. Paul Ebel, Flutot's, etc)?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    patrickjames,
    I agree with mgb74. There's nothing mystical about servicing an enlarger lens at all.
    Some people seem to think paying more for the work buys you better quality.
    Horse puckey! Any responsible tech can do the job.
    Both Ebel and Carol have great reps & I'm sure that both would do a great job on the lens.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Large Format
    ....and don't forget S.K.Grimes. I talked to Adam last week about the same thing...
    —Eric

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by John Koehrer
    There's nothing mystical about servicing an enlarger
    lens at all. Any responsible tech can do the job.
    I've nothing against a person profiting from some
    special skill such as lens cleaning and repair. There's
    bench space available and little excuse not to DIM.
    Like they say "If you want it done right ... " Well,
    if you've lived long enough you know there is
    something to it. On the other hand one
    could botch the job.

So far only Me for DIY? Dan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I am all for do it yourself guys and have repaired many a camera and lens. My latest was a Leica M3 and a cloudy Summicron, but this lens is almost irreplaceable and the rear retaining ring seems to be stuck on it. I do not want to screw up the lens trying to get it off. So far Optical Instruments and Focal Point lens seem to be the top contenders. Thanks for all the help. I still need to contact them to see what they are willing to do.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin