Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,202   Posts: 1,531,549   Online: 1110

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Professional enlarger lens cleaning

I have a very valuable enlarging lens and It has developed some fog. I need to get it completely disassembled and cleaned. I want to send it to the best person possible. It is a Zeiss lens if that really matters. Any suggestions?
    Last edited by patrickjames; 07-25-2006 at 12:45 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

lens

Try contacting Schneider. They have a very good lens dept. and they might do the work for you...
    Best, Peter

Shooter
    35mm
    Send it to Zeiss. Go to their website, Carlzeiss.de and go to the service and maintenance area. Zeiss does a fine job of handling email.
    Claire (Ms Anne Thrope is in the darkroom)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks Claire- but the link is no good. I sent ziess US an email yesterday but they have not responded. Any other links?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by patrickjames
    I have a very valuable enlarging lens and It has developed some fog. I need to get it completely disassembled and cleaned. I want to send it to the best person possible. It is a Zeiss lens if that really matters. Any suggestions?

Hi,
    Try http://www.henrypaine.com/ . He is a nice fellow, does good work, and is decidedly analog. (5x7 shooter) I have had him clean optics and repair compur shutters.
    Celac.

edz

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by patrickjames
    First of all one should confirm that its really "valuable" and worth dealing with. Not all Zeiss is valuable. The most prized ones are the Zeiss S-Orthoplanar and S-Biogon. They are both "valuable" to collectors. The Zeiss Jena Tessars, by contrast, are good but very common and trade for less than paperweights.

If its a Zeiss S-Orthoplanar or S-Biogon then you should send it to Carl Zeiss for service-- although I'm not sure service would increase their value as most collectors that dig deep into their pockets don't really ever use them (the lure of hype).
    Edward C. Zimmermann
    BSn R&D // http://www.nonmonotonic.net

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yep- It is an orthoplanar and I really don't care about the collectability of it because I use it. It really is a fantastic lens. All the hype really isn't hype.
    I would love to send it to Zeiss but they haven't answered my emails yet. Anyone know who I should contact there?

Afterword-
    I found the German Zeiss repair contact and emailed them. Keeping my fingers crossed..........

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well its official. Zeiss emailed me back saying that they couldn't help me. I was quite shocked because this only invloves removing a retaining ring. Anyone have any other advice? I am looking for the best of the best please. I don't want any hack screwing up this lens. It is just too valuable and too hard to replace. I appreciate your help.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I believe John at http://www.focalpointlens.com/ may be able to help you out.
    “Do your work, then step back. The only path to serenity.” - Lao Tzu

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Have you considered DIY?
    I've a 127mm RZ lens needing cleaning
    and am considering DIM. Dan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin