Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,961   Posts: 1,523,129   Online: 966

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Sump pump or sewage pump

Hello everyone,

Finally building my own darkroom.

I was going to install a sump pump but found that it is not rated for water above 70 degrees. Looked at a sewage pump and it says, among other things, that it will handle laundry facilities, implying hot water.

Should I avoid a sump pump and install a sewage pump?

Thanks,
    Bryan

Images
    My suggestion is to ask someone at a real plumbing supply house, not a Home Depot. The sewage pump is made to grind up and pump solids while the sump pump is made for clear water. There's a big price difference. Don't know about the temperature thing.

Brian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've had a sump pump handling my washer water for 12 years. No problems yet, but I wash in warm, not hot.

Free advice and worth every penny.

13 Critchley Avenue, PO Box 36, Monteith Ont, P0K1P0
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    There is such a thing as a "laundry pump" which will handle hot water, detergents and the like. They are used for emptying basement laundry tubs, showers and washing machines into a grey water drain when a municipal service is not available. Typically, they draw through a check valve so that there won;t be any backflow. They shouldn't be very expensive either as they don't need either great ruggedness or large power. We used one on the home farm for many years with no trouble.

cheers

Shooter
    Large Format
    I have had a sump pump dispose of laundry water for years. A sewage pump is a pump that is used to dispose of solid wastes like those coming from your toilet. They are designed to be installed into an enclosed sump for that reason.

A conventional sump pump will serve your purposes. I have over thirty years experience in dealing with plumbing matters (among other things)...however you should be guided by your local codes.
    Art is a step from what is obvious and well-known toward what is arcane and concealed.

Visit my website at http://www.donaldmillerphotography.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by brYan
    Hello everyone,

I was going to install a sump pump but found that it is not rated for water above 70 degrees. Looked at a sewage pump and it says, among other things, that it will handle laundry facilities, implying hot water.

Thanks,
    Bryan
    Just curious - was that 70F or 70C?

A pump incapable of handling water above 70F seems to be next to useless. OTOH, a pump able to handle 70C can take care of water far beyond what you will need!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use a sump pump in my darkroom and it works beautifully.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by copake_ham
    Just curious - was that 70F or 70C?

A pump incapable of handling water above 70F seems to be next to useless. OTOH, a pump able to handle 70C can take care of water far beyond what you will need!

The sump pump is a Flotec rated from 32F to 70F.

-Bryan

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Sump Pump or Dump Pump?

Quote Originally Posted by brYan
    Hello everyone,

Thanks,
    Bryan
    We have a sump pump in the basement laundry room that handles hot and cold water very handily. We found it was best to power the sumps via a standard plug-in cord as opposed to "hard-wiring" it making it easier to swap them out quickly and cheaply as needed. You wouldn't want to subject a sump pump to solid wastes but hot water shouldn't be a problem.
    "A certain amount of contempt for the material employed to express an idea is indispensable to the purest realization of this idea." Man Ray

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The "Little Giant" pump I have uses a diaphragm to switch on automatically. It cautions not to use water hotter than 125 F. Having not known that with the first one I had, I thought nothing of running water as hot as the water heater would make it to clean things. The result was that the diaphragm broke down and water got into places it shouldn't when I tried, without directions, to fix it. So I've now replaced it with a new one I bought on ebay that came with all the instructions I should have had in the first place. It works beautifully and I've learned more about PVC, ABS, priming, check valves, couplings and vents than I ever thought I would. Have fun!
    John Voss

My Blog

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin