Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,531   Posts: 1,572,516   Online: 1086

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Thermometers

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Claire Senft
    I must say the thought that a mercury thermometer enclosed in etched glass
    being able to go out of calibration to be very surprising news that I find hard to fathom.

How could this happen?

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Hicks
    Dear Claire,

Puzzles me too.

Cheers,

R.

Roger and Claire,

I posted a URL above where you can read all about LIG thermometers going out of cal. Maybe you missed my reference. I'll post it here again.

http://www.icllabs.com/whyrecalibrate.html

One time a thermometer was found to be out by 10 degrees:

"[font=Arial]We have had, on rare occasions, thermometers submitted for a periodic re-calibration which at first examination appeared in excellent condition, but did not function properly; an examination under the microscope revealed a nearly invisible stress crack in the bulb through which a quantity of mercury had escaped - [color=blue]changing the reading of the thermometer in excess of 10 degrees C [/color]"[/font]

regards
    Peter

Shooter
    35mm
    Thank you.
    Claire (Ms Anne Thrope is in the darkroom)

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Dear Peter,

Good Lord! Thanks. Sorry I missed the previous url.

Cheers,

Roger

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I know this is a really old thread, but as I went to develop some film yesterday, the chemical bottles felt warm to me. So I checked my darkroom thermometer against three other thermometers in the house, and found that my bi-metal dial thermometer was showing a whopping 11 degrees Fahrenheit too little.

So now I'm looking at Kessler in NY state. They quote you on the spot when you want to buy thermometers, and seem to start around 80 bucks and go as high as the sky...

I'm glad I caught it before I started developing film.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Tom,
    I had something like that happen with an Omega digital LED read-out type with the coil probe. Things started going slowing South with my film processing and I was looking at several possible problem areas(developer, time, etc.). My thermometer unfortunately was not the first place I looked. I wasted time and money before I checked my fancy super-accurate digital thermometer against an old liquid FR I had sitting around. Yup, same problem you had. I've also had problems of the bi-metal thermo's be off by a couple of degrees from one time to the next. Well, I now have a Kodak No.2 process thermometer and all is well. I found out that sometimes newer/modern technology isn't always better. And to stop anybody else's grief that Omega wonder is at the bottom of some landfill in Michigan right now. Lesson learned! You are very lucky you caught it before you took that roll off the reel and said "What the.............". I'll let you fill in the blank. JohnW

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin