Switch to English Language Passer en langue franÁaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,704   Posts: 1,482,742   Online: 1019

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Thermometers

Shooter
    Multi Format

Thermometers

I recently acquired a Paterson darkroom thermometer and I was using it to monitor the temperature of the water in my Jobo CPE. However, I started to have my suspicions about the accuracy of the thermometer when I had to turn up the temperature on the Jobo in order to obtain the desired 24 degrees C. I dug out my Jessops thermometer and I was amazed to find that it had an indicated reading of 26 degrees C. I would expect half a degree difference between the thermometers but two degrees, thatís a lot. I then had to dig out a brewing thermometer to see if I had two thermometers that agreed. The brewing thermometer concurred with the Jessops thermometer.

I now find myself in the market for a decent thermometer. My priorities are reliability, consistency and long life. Reasonable accuracy would also be helpful

Iím thinking of getting a digital thermometer as Iíve managed to break the glass type in the past. Does anyone have any experience of the Kaiser or Ilford digital thermometers? The Ilford model is almost three times the price of the Kaiser thermometer. Is it worth it? Whatís everyone else using out there?

Brian

Shooter
    35mm
    I had the Ilford DT30 a long time ago. I mean over 20 years ago. I like it because it very fast. I don't think it's very accurate though. Right now I use a Kodak Process Thermometer Type III, which is a simple mercury unit but seems to work well.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I found a digital lab thermometer on Ebay a while back that seems pretty accurate and has a very respectable range. It was pretty cheap but can't remember what the brand was.
    Gary Beasley

Shooter
    Large Format
    I use an old dial type from Besseler. I seems to work good, I check it against a glass kodak now and then. The kodak is great just harder to read.
    DIGITAL IS FOR THOSE AFRAID OF THE DARK.

roy
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffeb
    . I now find myself in the market for a decent thermometer. My priorities are reliability, consistency and long life. Reasonable accuracy would also be helpful Brian
    Brian, try RH Designs.
    Roy Groombridge.

Cogito, ergo sum.
    (Descartes)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've been using a pyrex digital thermometer from Linens and Things for about 2 years and it's dead on with my glass one every time. Accurate w/in a tenth and it's quick as well. $13

vinny
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Paterson also do a "certified" thermometer (it isn't - it's just guaranteed accurate to +/- 0.3C) and so do Kaiser (to =/- 0.2C) - http://www.silverprint.co.uk/dark18.html.

Cheers, Bob.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by raucousimages
    I use an old dial type from Besseler. I seems to work good, I check it against a glass kodak now and then. The kodak is great just harder to read.
    That may be the best solution. I do use glass Kodak and Unicolor thermometers, but try to keep the darkroom temperature, tanks, and chemicals within a practical range so a wall thermometer often suffices.

Shooter
    35mm
    If you can find one at am affordable price get a Kodak Process thermometer 3. It is a stainless steel clad mercury thermoeter. It is not delicate. It offers accuracy of 1/4 degree at 68 and 100 ļF. These are, in my opinion, the nicest darkroom thermometers ever made.
    Claire (Ms Anne Thrope is in the darkroom)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by roy
    Brian, try RH Designs.
    I strongly agree with Roy's recommendation. The RH Designs digital thermometer is an excellent design at a very reasonable price. Nice people, in addition!
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  ó   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin