Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,977   Posts: 1,523,666   Online: 1173

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Omega DII question

Yo folks!

Today I got a nice used Omega DII enlarger- DII, not D2.

I got a Wollensak 135mm lens, the lens cone for it and the 4x5 condensor.

I've got everything for it cleaned up now and it makes me so happy- a nice little (hah!) upgrade from my Chromega C760.

My question is, since the enlarger was made in the heyday of graded papers, is there a viable way to use multigrade filters in it? I'd rather not be holding them under the lens. I see a slot above the condensor- looks like a filter drawer. There's nothing in it, but I could make a drawer for it; it also has a flap down door.

I'm not too familiar with condensor enlargers, and especially this one. Would it work correctly if I stick like the 6" filters in a makeshift drawer above the condensor?

Thank you

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    If you have a filter drawer, then you have the "color" head, and yes, you can use 6" VC filters in it or CP for color printing. That would make it a D2 head, I believe, though you may have a D-II chassis. If you don't actually have a drawer in there, then you will have massive light leaks, so you need to sort that out.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Hi David,

It's the DII head- it says DII on the head itself.

I'm going to have to deal with the light leaks, but I doubt they'll be that bad- the slot is completely enclosed witha flap door in front of it.

Right now I'm taking on the challenge of negative carriers- I've made some before so it won't be as difficult.

Thanks!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Okay, I'm away from home, but that sounds just like one of the heads that I have. I usually use a cold light head, so I forgot what that one is like. You just put the filters in behind the flap, if I remember correctly. I don't think you need a tray. It shouldn't leak. I thought you were missing the flap.

Omega D-type neg carriers are very easy to find on eBay. I like the round Rapid Shift carriers with the glass inserts.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jadedoto
    I'm not too familiar with condensor enlargers, and especially this one. Would it work correctly if I stick like the 6" filters in a makeshift drawer above the condensor?
    Hi Jadedoto,

I have a DII myself and made filter holders for it. The flap you mention, accepts 6x6" gel filters but in order not to scratch them, I made these:

Two holders with filter 0 and V attached (handy for split grade printing) and a sleeve where I can insert all the others.

Greetings,
    G

Shooter
    Multi Format
    hi jadedoto:

nice enlarger!

instead of using big filters i use polymax filters. they are small, and come with a filter holder that attaches to the bottom of your lens. the filters are 1/2 step - ( 0+, 1/2. 1 ... 5+ ) work well with modern vc papers. if you have one of the olde cold light heads, you might think about getting a yellow cc 25 (i think that is the # ?) filter to use with it. if you have trouble finding one, i think i still have mine PM me if you are interested. only problem with the yellow cc filter is it eats up a lot of your light. i ended up getting a aristo cold light head ...

good luck!
    john
    ask me how ..

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jadedoto
    Yo folks!
    My question is, since the enlarger was made in the heyday of graded papers, is there a viable way to use multigrade filters in it? I'd rather not be holding them under the lens. I see a slot above the condensor- looks like a filter drawer. There's nothing in it, but I could make a drawer for it; it also has a flap down door.
    Thank you
    If you have a filter drawer, then just get a peice of glass cut. This is exactly what I did. Make a cutout out of cardboard to get the right dimensions. Then just lay the filters over the piece of glass.

This is a nice enlarger. The only annoying thing is that to make 5x7" prints from 35mm and 120 negatives, I need to raise the easel off the baseboard by putting it on top of a box.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeM1977
    This is a nice enlarger. The only annoying thing is that to make 5x7" prints from 35mm and 120 negatives, I need to raise the easel off the baseboard by putting it on top of a box.
    A box of 100 sheets (I use an old Azo box) is exactly the right size to raise it up for 5x7" prints! I think they might have even planned it that way. :-)

Best,

Will
    "I am an anarchist." - HCB
    "I wanna be anarchist." - JR

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin