Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 73,097   Posts: 1,612,643   Online: 851

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Need some help - DeVere free standing enlarger

I've tried Odyssey, bought the manual etc. but I'm still having no joy. I have a free standing 504 and in order to get it in the house had to dismantle the base board and the base board stand. This meant that the chains in the drop bed base became disconnected from the lens and neg stage focussing wheels. I've put the chains back in what appears to be a logical order but there's just too much play. Does anyone have a floor standing unit that can have a look at the way the chain is threaded through the various cogs and wheels.
    The only details in the manual are for the cables in the actual column not the chains in the base.
    So many drummers, so little time.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I just went into the darkroom and checked out the R/H side (looking from the back).

The chain comes up the left side skimming the panel and loops left to right over the top cog. This cog has an axle that on my machine comes through to the front above the base board. (Clockwise)

After coming clockwise over the top roller it goes to the left of a solid bush. (anticlockwise)

Then it drops down to go around a plastic roller on the RH side of the roller. (clockwise)

Then it drops down around a geared cog anticlockwise.

Drops down and then goes around another roller on the RH side (clockwise).

Then it drops to the floor and the set of rollers in the foot.

I know this is difficult but if you print this out and stand behind your enlarger this is what you will see on the right side as you look at it.

Mick.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks Mick. That's exactly how I've got it! The strange this is in the manual it says that to tension the chain turn the screw clockwise that goes into the side of the solid bush. You have to loosen a screw at the front first, the one that has a slightly elongated hole. However because the chain goes anticlockwise around the solid bush, turning the screw clockwise the slackens the chain.

The other thing I need to check is for wear on those nylon wheels.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well unles the drop board base has been up and down like a yo yo on heat, I doubt whether the nylon wheels would have any wear and tear.

My own unit saw work for close to 20 years in a commercial lab, the drop table assembly is as tight as you know what!

Mick.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    anticlockwise with respect to the front or the back...? Could it be frame of reference problem?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sparky, The only way you can see the layout is from the back. Here is a very crude drawing of how mine is threaded.

Right hand side viewed from the back (this is the lens board stage)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails devere.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I should pay attention to this thread - I might learn something..! Do any of you DeVere folks know if I'm going to have a problem putting a 5x7 head on my 504? I'm concerned because mine's wall-mounted - and if I need rear access - that may be a bit of a problem since it was an absolute NIGHTMARE to get wall-mounted in the first place (involved 4 persons holding it in place...!).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Not sure about the 5x7 head. Mine's a free standing unit but has the bracket for fixing the column to the wall. I'm waiting until everythings fixed up 100% before I bolt it to the wall. Two of us had to get the monster up two flights of stairs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sparky & Lee

I have nothing to say that could help you, but feel obliged to honour you both for the efforts you have made to get your enlargers working. I bought an Omega wallmount D2 5x4 enlarger unseen, but unfortunately my darkroom wall isn't strong enough to take it and the enlarger has sat alone and unloved in the garage ever since. I am truly not worthy!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Black
    Sparky & Lee

I have nothing to say that could help you, but feel obliged to honour you both for the efforts you have made to get your enlargers working. I bought an Omega wallmount D2 5x4 enlarger unseen, but unfortunately my darkroom wall isn't strong enough to take it and the enlarger has sat alone and unloved in the garage ever since. I am truly not worthy!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    You really (to do it right) have to add blocking to the wall. I was kind of stupid about mine - I built out a 2x6 stud wall from a brick masonry wall to have elaborate 4x6 blocking - when - in retrospect, it would make so much MORE sense to not have built the wall, and bolted the brackets into the BRICK(!). I'd have more space, too! Oh well - at least I have nice lens & accessory shelves built into the wall...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin