Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,528   Posts: 1,572,416   Online: 1123

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Question on East Street Gallery print washer

I've looked for a reasonably priced print washer (11x14, less than $100) and found one. It is an old East Street Gallery washer and I have a few questions about it.
    It came with 4 dividers making 5 compartments. There are slots for twice that many. It says it holds 10 prints and it looks like the washing jets are set up for more dividers. Am I missing some or can you wash 2 per compartment?
    Another question is about the water inlets/outlets. It looks like it has 2 inlets on the bottom and 2 small diameter tubes going up the sides that start at either water inlet port don't appear to go anywhere. I'm not sure what they do.
    Lastly, is there anyway to use this on a counter rather than a sink? It looks like it must be in a sink, but I figured I'd ask those of you who have used one.

Thanks -- Mark

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I had one of these years ago and can answer at least some of your questions. This was I believe, the first archival washer and was quite revolutionary in its time. I still use one of their film washers. You are missing dividers. I think you could use plexiglass of the proper thickness. The original dividers have thin rods glued to them as I remember to prevent prints from sticking and I think you would be fine without them. It does have 2 inlets and the 2 small tubes are to mix air into the water as it flows into the washer for more agitation. It was later proved to be unnecessary, but certainly can't hurt. I don't know about using it on a counter. Doesn't the water simply flow over the top of the washer? I can't remember the detaials of how it empties. I hope this helps.

Richard Wasserman

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks Richard....it looks like it just flows over the top. I just could not understand why there were inlets at both ends of the washer. I can make more dividers easily enough. The little rods glued in there would be easy enough to duplicate. I'l have to say, though, I'd never have figured out the air bubbler feature!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Enjoy it Mark, it's a nice washer.

Richard wasserman

From what I read:

While this washer was the first of its type, it had a design fault where little protrusions were present to prevent prints from sticking to the walls. Stagnant water around these spots prevented the prints from evenly washed, so later on, marks corresponding to these spots started to appear on prints washed in this washer, and it led to the demise of East Street. I guess you can still use it but if I were you I would be tempted to move the prints around in the chambers rather than just leaving them inside during the wash.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin