Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,205   Posts: 1,531,678   Online: 1153

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Looking for a 16x20 4 bladed easel

This isn't a question on which one to buy, as I've settled on the Saunders 16x20 universal (or the v-track if I can find one at a good price) but WHERE to get one? I've bought one off ebay and when it arrived it wasn't in such great shape even though it looked pretty new so I sent it back. I think that an easel might be something I'd want to buy new, or off a respectable member. Can anyone reccomend me a place that may have better prices than B&H? Or a member on here that may have one they want to sell? (upgrading to v-track or a 20x24?) It's a long shot but worth trying.

Shooter
    Large Format
    rjas, About a year ago I went through the same thing. I was looking for a 20x24. This gloom and doom about the death of film and darkrooms for some reason does not apply to easels. Nor does it apply to a larger dry mount press. I'm now looking for a Seal 210 or bigger.

It's weird, you can buy a $4,000. enlarger used for $500.or even free to haul it away.

I'm sorry to say that unless you are very lucky you have to spend the big bucks, retail or e-bay. If you find a secret source please let me know.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by photobum
    rjas, About a year ago I went through the same thing. I was looking for a 20x24. This gloom and doom about the death of film and darkrooms for some reason does not apply to easels. Nor does it apply to a larger dry mount press. I'm now looking for a Seal 210 or bigger.

It's weird, you can buy a $4,000. enlarger used for $500.or even free to haul it away.

I'm sorry to say that unless you are very lucky you have to spend the big bucks, retail or e-bay. If you find a secret source please let me know.
    Did check around and freestylephoto seems to be the cheapeast, plus more reasonable shipping than B&H. Might have to bite the bullet on this one!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rjas
    I've bought one off ebay and when it arrived it wasn't in such great shape even though it looked pretty new so I sent it back.
    What was wrong with the easel? Saunders has really good support. They have all the parts.

wfe
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Good luck, I bid on five on them on eBay and all five I lost to what I feel were extremely high prices. Well over 50% of the cost of a new one.

Regards,
    Bill
    ~Bill
    "Real Art is a Thin Breath Exhaled Amidst a Struggle in the Mind"
    Fine Art and Portraits

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wfe
    Good luck, I bid on five on them on eBay and all five I lost to what I feel were extremely high prices. Well over 50% of the cost of a new one.
    I guess I was really really lucky on mine. The seller said the piston hinge was broken, got a GREAT price, called Saunders, and they sent me a replacement (actually, the piston was decommisioned and this was a replacement for it) for like $12 bucks.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by eric
    What was wrong with the easel? Saunders has really good support. They have all the parts.
    Was rusted and blades weren't straight, the description and pics led me to believe otherwise. Sent it back at senders cost or I woulda just kept it because shipping was too high. I really want that 16x20 v-track! theres one on ebay for over 50% of original price right now.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I have seen some realy beat up easles, they are just no fun to work on. I sugest to just buy new if you can. An easle even slightly out of alignment will give you fits.
    DIGITAL IS FOR THOSE AFRAID OF THE DARK.

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Images
    Just fyi the blade alignment can be readjusted via two bolts at the base of each blade.

Jon
    Mendocino Coast Black and White Photography: www.jonshiu.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    But bent is bent. Many easels on ebay are just bad even though they look good to the eye. Warped, bent, cracked and plain screwed up. There is something to be said for purchasing new and not having to deal with someone elses problem no matter how low prices on used gear are. If you are buying used there is a reason someone is selling it.
    DIGITAL IS FOR THOSE AFRAID OF THE DARK.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin