Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,929   Posts: 1,585,300   Online: 1089

Thread: Vacuum Cleaner

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Vacuum Cleaner

Allright, it might be a silly question, but you never know...
    Is there a type of vacuum cleaner that would be best for a darkroom, especially a small one?
    Since I don't have too much floor estate, should I get a small hand held cleaner?
    How about the ones with steam, will it work better for dust?
    Is there such thing as an anti-static vacuum cleaner?

I am quite curious to know if there are other answers than "any cheap thing would do the job"...
    aristotelis grammatikakis
    www.arigram.gr
    Real photographs, created in camera, 100% organic,
    no digital additives and shit

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    hey ari, don't make it too complicated, all you need is one with a long hose so the machine itself stays out of the darkroom

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Heath
    hey ari, don't make it too complicated, all you need is one with a long hose so the machine itself stays out of the darkroom

It could even live outside in a 'mini shed' built as a lean to against an outside wall with just a bit of pipe coming in through the wall which you can attach your hose to when needed.

Oh, I've gone and made it complicated again!

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks guys.
    Yeah I know, KISS and all that, but there might have been a piece of information I am ignorant of, that's why I thought I ask.
    Steve, I think that idea would work in a large communal darkroom that sees a lot of people, but in a small place like mine where I am the only user, I think I would better go with a small hand held dust sucker.
    I was just wondering if there are any things to look for in a good dust fighter, that's why I asked if there is something like an anti-static one.

I would never think of keeping the body of the vacuum cleaner outside. Would it create dust? Doesn't it suck the whole dirt inside? What's the rationale behind that suggestion?
    www.arigram.gr

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If it is a small space, why not a slightly damp cloth to dust with? Save the money and get more equipment you would really use.
    Non Digital Diva

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Now, that was a big KISS from Aggie!
    Thank you dear, I know I would have had trouble spending any money with you as my wife.
    www.arigram.gr

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use a small 1 gallon shop vac, and keep about 1 inch of water in it to help control the dust.

Dave

mjs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Many vacuum cleaners spew almost as much dust out as they suck up. You want the exhaust portion outside of your darkroom, if at all possible. I wouldn't go with the hand-held, if it were me. If you can just get a long enough hose with your home vacuum, I'd go with that. If not, lay a damp towel over the vacuum's exhaust to trap the crap going through it's filter. You may be surprised at how it looks after you've used it!

mjs

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I spray water with small atomizer bottle in the air and then wipe the floor with the towel. I hope the water spray takes the dust down to the floor. But I don't know if and how much this really reduces the dust.

I just do it in hope, like other things I do in my life.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin