Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,732   Posts: 1,515,262   Online: 769

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fiberglass work

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Another type of box for film holders. The surplus ammo cans (metal, gasket sealing lid) will not crush. You would need a liner for the metal to protect holders, but they are bullet proof, water proof, available and cheap. Just wouldn't want to lug them around out in the field. tim

Shooter
    Large Format
    Most of my ammo cans are full of ammo. I shoot more than just cameras.

I think the problem was mixing the resin and hardener. This was an old fiber glass kit to repair garden ponds and fountains. Just mix the tube of hardener into the bottle of resin and shake. I don't think I mixed long enough and the bottle had a coating of resin without enough hardener that poured out as the last few ounces. I poured into the first box and coated it then dumped into the second and so on. The boxes got better down the line with the last being the best. So I think by the last box it was well mixed.

The idea is to use the boxes to store the holders safe at home and to transport them in the truck then transfer a few to the pack in the field.

I have read of old methods of water proofing like mixing pine tar, boiled linseed oil and turpentine into a thick paste and coating the inside of a box or tightly woven basket then dropping in red hot rocks and rolling them around. The rocks work the mess into the cracks and evaporate the turpentine leaving the rest firm. As the linseed oil evaporates the pine tar hardens waterproof. I think I like modern resins.
    DIGITAL IS FOR THOSE AFRAID OF THE DARK.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    John, If you used a polyester resin it is in its nature to remain sticky. The typical procedure is to ad a few drops of liquid wax ( you can buy it from fiberglast) to the last layer. Just a few drops in the mixing cup stirring well before you apply. OTOH a good epoxy resin will dry without the stickyness.
    I dream in color and see in black and white

Jeff Graves
    http://www.graymatterimages.com

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by raucousimages
    I had some holders damaged when my toolbox shifted in the back of the truck and smashed the soft lunch box I had them in. And I had some strips of oak ply in the garage so I thought I would make some hard boxes for the holders. My gear takes a real beating on the roads I travel so I do every thing I can to protect it. My cameras are in Pelican cases and every thing rides on a futon mattress in the truck to absorb shock. It really sucked to lose some old Lisco wood holders to a tool box. Never leave nice wood around an old carpenter, something is going to get built.
    Putting the soft lunch boxes inside an Igloo cooler will solve that problem.
    Don Bryant

Shooter
    Large Format
    I use a Coleman cooler on wheels for 8X10 holders. I dont like them for 4X5 due to the size and the plastic collects dust. By the time I pack for a long weekend out (2 adults, 3 children, 1 8x10, 3-5 4x5s, film holders, Hassy, RZ67, a couple of 35s 5-7 tripods +food, packs, stove, tents, sleeping bags with pads, tools, shovels, axe, high lift jacks, an extra spare tire and one beagle) space is an issue.

I liked the idea of a hard box the exact size ineeded for my holders.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Yes that was an EXTRA spare tire. I always carry two after shredding a tire in the Silver Island mountains north of the Bonneville Salt Flats. Changed the tire and destroyed the spare less than 100 yards later on sharp lava. 20+ miles back to Wendover on the rim to buy a used tire for $50.00 then limp back to Salt Lake. I am hard on tires but it gets me away from crowds.

DBP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by raucousimages
    Yes that was an EXTRA spare tire. I always carry two after shredding a tire in the Silver Island mountains north of the Bonneville Salt Flats. Changed the tire and destroyed the spare less than 100 yards later on sharp lava. 20+ miles back to Wendover on the rim to buy a used tire for $50.00 then limp back to Salt Lake. I am hard on tires but it gets me away from crowds.
    You may be the first civilian I've heard of who actually needs a HMMWV. Do the civilian ones have run-flat tires?

Shooter
    Large Format
    I now drive a Jeep and a Dodge 1 ton truck but I was in the Marines when they introduced the Hummer. They took away my beloved M151-A1 Jeep and gave me a Hummer. It is a great vehicle but I hated driving it. I would not own one but yes you can order a civilian version of the original hummer with run flats and the on-board compressor but it was only about $500.00 to add a second spare on the truck. Besides I can rotate six tires, it gives me a long life on a set.

This is my truck after a few days photographing trains and wild horses in Ely, NV.

Shooter
    Medium Format

The solution is...

MEK. Yes, the very same hardner you used in the initial resin mix. Brush liberally over the soft areas. Some reapplication may be necessary over the course of the day. This will leave an oily residue that may be cleaned up with acetone.

A word of caution---some of the fiberglass resins use a carnuba wax that floats to the surface. Lightly sand prior to application. Also, if you have used a colorant, you may wish to prepare another resin/colorant/hardner mix over the spots you have treated. As before, sand beforehand. This method also works to seal soft or thin spots on the surface (ones that wont harden, or having some exposed glass mat).
    Cheers,

Patrick

When you come to a fork in the road, take it...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin