Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,564   Posts: 1,573,445   Online: 839

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

Fastness of enlarger filters?

I recently purchased Leitz Focomat V35 with color module and I intend to use the color module for BW multigrade papers. A friend of mine recommended not to do so, because this is more than 20 years old and the filter color must have been faded away. Of course I don't want to start to use new equipment from wrong standard setting.

However, I don't want to attach external filter (this enlarger has no grade filter attachment holder below the lens and I have to modify it to do so) and want to use color module. If the color module filters are faded, is it possible to replace with new filters and where can I get them? I never disassembled the module and don't know how it is constructed.

TIA

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Filters do degrade with time and exposure to light. That is one reason why more modern enlargers used dichroic filters, as they are less subject to deterioration.

You can test them if you have a color densitometer. The yellow filter for 0.1 density should measure about 0.1 to blue light and etc. If they deviate more than 0.05, either way, they are probably starting to go, but you could still use them if they give reasonable / repeatable results.

PE

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Thanks for the info. I have no densitometer, maybe I would compare the results of the color module and my Ilford multigrade filter to judge.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Isn't the V35 dichroic?

Cheers,

R.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Hicks
    Isn't the V35 dichroic?

Cheers,

R.
    yes, it is.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    is more than 20 years old and the filter color must have been faded away
    They won't fade away because they are dichroïtic but you can check that with a borrowed color analyser.
    The only interesting upgrade for the V35 you can do is buy a split grade (tm) module from Heiland which gives you a quick measurement and automatic control for exposure time and gradation in 1/10 steps.

Another important thing is the right bulb: Philips 13139 75Watt.
    The Focomat V35 is in fact the best 35mm enlarger you can buy.

Enjoy your new toy.

Best regards,

Robert

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Thanks for all.
    I will trust the color module and use it.
    The enlarger is on the way to me from ebay seller and I'm really anticipating it.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin