Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,534   Posts: 1,572,717   Online: 754

Shooter
    35mm

How to clean the darkroom floor

Sounds like a stupid question, but what cleaning chemicals would you all reccomend to clean the floor of a heavily used darkroom? THe floor is a expoxy painted surface which has seen heavy use and is in need of a good cleaning. Tried using the usual cleaners but they don't seem that effective.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You may need to use a wet buffer on the floor to get the crud to let go. Degraded fixer will turn into sulfur residue which won't dissolve easily. Dead developer may have a lot of alkalies so a dose of vinegar may help get that up.
    Gary Beasley

Shooter
    Large Format
    Try a steam cleaner like you would on carpets.
    DIGITAL IS FOR THOSE AFRAID OF THE DARK.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If the floor is heavily coated with incrusted chemicals, it might be cheaper to apply a new coating and keep it clean with soap and water, than to invest in high-tech cleaners and down-on-your-knees scrubbing. My darkroom has 2nd choice white ceramic tiles and it is cleaned with a wet mop. It was less than US$ 100.00 for 15 square meters.

Peter
    Photos are made four inches behind the camera

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If the floor is heavily coated with incrusted chemicals, it might be cheaper to apply a new coating and keep it clean with soap and water, than to invest in high-tech cleaners and down-on-your-knees scrubbing. My darkroom has 2nd choice white ceramic tiles and it is cleaned with a wet mop. It was less than US$ 100.00 for 15 square meters.
    This leads to the question of when it comes to the time to replace a floor. What it the best material for a floor? I am putting in a new floor and have considered all of the choices. Ultra hard bamboo or tile are the winners but a continuous sheet material that extends up the wall four to six inches might be the best. Floor drain anyone? Big tiles provide a really good surface that can be scrubbed. I saw some 18" ones that looked good. Smooth are easier to clean but slippery and non slip ones are a little harder to keep clean.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I like those rubber ones that have drainage, that are used for resturants. forget the brand name though......
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    APUG - The photography forum where you can discuss the finer points of floor-dom.

I'd think large ceramic tiles would be best, like a bathroom, as long as you can keep warm somehow. You could get a tradesman in to basically build you a giant bathroom, complete with with a drain in the floor, and just hope he doesnt ask too many questions.
    The Analogue Laboratory, or 'so you built a darkroom in an old factory in the industrial zone'.
    Blog thing!.

Worry less. Photograph more.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use heavy car shampoo, if this is good for cleaning dirty cars (sticking dead insects, dryed oil and other crude stuff), it will work for the darkroom floor...

Good luck,

Philippe
    "...If you can not stand the rustle of the leafs, then do not go in to the woods..."
    (freely translated quote by Guido Gezelle)

PS: English is only my third language, please do forgive me my sloppy grammar...

Shooter
    35mm
    Clean the floor!

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin