Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,951   Posts: 1,585,993   Online: 814

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I am also having problems with Newton rings. I am using a glass pin registered carrier with color negative film. Some days the rings are there badly and others I don't see them at all. Must be the humidity.

I am going to order a can of Prazio's Anti-Newton spray and the appropriate cleaning supplies since I really need to use the glass carrier.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for the replies everyone.

I had thought about a glassless carrier, but then I'm always worried about the negative not sitting flat.

I also thought about using anti newton glass, but then I read comments in Ansel Adams "The Print" book basically saying avoid anti newton glass.

I think I will check out the glassless carriers though.

Matt

Shooter
    35mm
    So, you are using non-AN glass carrier and having the Newton Rings issue, right? What did Ansel Adams say to avoid the ring effect?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt5791
    Does anyone know how to banish newton rings? short of removing the top glass in my LPL neg carrier?

I find it only a problem with 35mm - 6x6 is ok, I guess because it is easier for the glass to sit flat on it.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
    Matt
    Hello Matt,

I have heard quite a few guesses over the years as to what exactly causes Newton Rings. The most plausible is humidity and/or refraction of light within any glass above the negative. I contacted printed 8x10, only, for about 10 years and was plagued with the "rings" despite running a dehumidifier in my darkroom. Therefore, I'm not too sure about humidity causing the issue.

Many years ago, though, Ron Wisner (of Wisner cameras) became intrigued with my NR issue though he wasn't having a problem himself. Btw, we both lived on the east coast, then, so, again, not sure about that humidity idea. Ron's best guess was refracting light within the glass and that eliminating the reflections should, at least, minimize the occurrance of rings. I sent him a sheet of plate (1/4" thick) glass to which he applied a single coating to one side just like the coating used on camera lenses. According to Ron, this would eliminate about 97% of any refraction within the glass itself. The day I got it back I rushed into the darkroom with a VERY challenging neg--a landscape with a lot of sky and white clouds (about 3/4 of the image was in the Zone VI to XI range!); no Newton Rings! I was excited to say the least! Over the next week or so I printed many negs with no NR rings to be seen. About 18 years later now the glass has a couple of bubbles which render it useless for 8x10, but I can still use it for 4x5. Btw, I tried other solutions like frosted glass and for contact printing, anyway, found it useless. True, no NR, but your image will look like it was shot on TMZ 3200!

Not really a solution for you, but I thought you might enjoy one photographer's story of dealing with this problematic issue.
    Regards,
    Alan Huntley
    www.silverscapephoto.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Replace the glass with Water White coated Denglas. The UK dealer info is:
    United Kingdom
    Glass & Mirror, Ltd
    Brook Way
    Unit 2
    Leatherhead
    Surry, England KT22 7NA
    0137-237-7738

Shooter
    35mm
    Frosted glass is the easiest and cheapest fix IMHO.

I was having problems with my 24x25 contact printing frame. Finally I settled on frosted glass 1/8 inch. This was the cheapest option and it also completely eliminated the rings. Place the textured side against the negative, and you're good to go.

Regards,
    Martin

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    "Newton's Rings" are interference patterns caused by in - and out phasing of light in a tiny, irregular wedge of space. A glassless carrier *will* cure the problem, by eliminating the surface/s that form the "wedge".

Controlled interference with critically flat surfaces is used a lot in fine measurements of flatness error and comparisons with known standards. That measuring system is known as "interferometry" and I've been familiar with its use for many moons.

Either use a glassless carrier - depth of field (remember, this is a projection system) is deep enough to compensate for minor flatness errors, or increase the separation between the negative and glass surfaces - something like *very* thin shims (saran wrap, maybe?) should be sufficient.
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt5791
    Does anyone know how to banish newton rings? short of removing the top glass in my LPL neg carrier?

Matt

FirstCall are now the UK importers of LPL enlargers give them a call and they should be able to supply you with AntiNewton Ring glass for the LPL. Mine (LPL 7700) cost £18.99 + P&P a few weeks ago.

Brian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    FirstCall are on 01823 413007

Brian

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by TimVermont
    Replace the glass with Water White coated Denglas....
    When I made a glass carrier, I also used the Water White Denglas. I have never had a problem with NR.
    —Eric

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin