Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,555   Posts: 1,545,016   Online: 723

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Newton Rings - Argggggggh

Does anyone know how to banish newton rings? short of removing the top glass in my LPL neg carrier?

I find it only a problem with 35mm - 6x6 is ok, I guess because it is easier for the glass to sit flat on it.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
    Matt

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    It's often associated with dampness?
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A 35mm L.P.L. glassless negative carrier can bought from Nova at www.novadarkroom.com for £ 56. 99 or failing that you might ask them if they sell anti-newton glass inserts for your existing carrier.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Interesting. I've been having "issues" with Newton's Rings the last few days. I have been printing 35mm Kodak Portra negs, whereas I usually print 120 black & white negs with no Newton's Rings issues. If you do a search on this site, you'll come across some very useful information. The rings have only appeared on some prints from the 35mm colour negs.

Printing with a Magnifax 4a enlarger and Nova 12x16 Quad processor for RA-4. EDIT: I use the glass negative carrier.

Tom.

Images
    Matt

I don't know what your light source is, but true diffuse light cannot create Newton rings. Change the top glass to a diffuse type, i.e. white plexi or frosted glass. Or just switch to a glassless carrier. There is a whole world out there that doesn't use glass.
    Watch for Loose Gravel

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Images
    You can buy a anti-newton ring glass to replace the upper glass. Costs about $30 from calumetphoto.com.

Jon
    Mendocino Coast Black and White Photography: www.jonshiu.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Loose Gravel
    Matt

I don't know what your light source is, but true diffuse light cannot create Newton rings. Change the top glass to a diffuse type, i.e. white plexi or frosted glass. Or just switch to a glassless carrier. There is a whole world out there that doesn't use glass.
    I've never heard about the diffuse light thing. I certainly got Newton rings with my Durst M605 and color head, which is supposed to be diffuse. I got some cheap anti-Newton glass custom cut by Focal Point: http://www.fpointinc.com/

Images
    I has to be completely diffuse. The angles that the light impinges on the neg must be completely random, thus diffusion must occur at the surface of the neg. If you do add this diffusor, sometimes you can delete the diffusor at the light source, at least this works with coldlights.

Review this link:

http://www.apug.org/forums/showthrea...ight=diffusion
    Watch for Loose Gravel

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    A simple and inexpensive solution is to replace the glass which contacts the negastive with Anti-glare glass from a frame shop. the slightly textured side should contact the negative.

No, the texture does not show in the print. I have this in most of my contact printers.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Films NOT Dead - Just getting fixed![/FONT]

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I am currently using an Omega glass carrier that has one piece of anti-newton glass and one plain piece of glass. The anti-newton piece is on the top.

This is a 4x5 carrier but this is how I print my 35mm xpan negatives full frame.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin