Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,228   Posts: 1,532,710   Online: 700

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Jobo CPP-2 lift gears

Anyone else have the problem with slipping gears, and also with the lift handle's base stripping where it seats inside the housing? My unit is about 20 years old (and not heavily used) and I don't know if there have been design improvements since then.

I left a message 2 days ago at Jobo AG but no call back yet. I'm using an Expert 3006 tank for 4x5 film with 600ml solution. The slipping only occurs when the drum is weighted with solution and on one of the rotation direction changes. I pulled the two small gears and traded their positions and I thought the problem was solved but a couple minutes later it started slipping again. I have to help the drum along on the direction change to avoid the gears grinding or actually seizing, and I'm worried the motor might go.

Mark

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkL
    Anyone else have the problem with slipping gears, and also with the lift handle's base stripping where it seats inside the housing? My unit is about 20 years old (and not heavily used) and I don't know if there have been design improvements since then.

I left a message 2 days ago at Jobo AG but no call back yet. I'm using an Expert 3006 tank for 4x5 film with 600ml solution. The slipping only occurs when the drum is weighted with solution and on one of the rotation direction changes. I pulled the two small gears and traded their positions and I thought the problem was solved but a couple minutes later it started slipping again. I have to help the drum along on the direction change to avoid the gears grinding or actually seizing, and I'm worried the motor might go.

Mark
    A 20 year old CPP-2 would have been shipped with the first version rotation motor that has since been upgraded several times. It was found that the early model rotation motors were not strong enough for for use with the Expert Drums. You could replace the motor but it will cost around $650.00
    if you do the upgrade yourself. check out this link:
    http://www.jobousadarkroom.com/bulletins/b019.htm

The lift arms fail in time. It's important to "help" the arm when raising it by lifting the drum with your free hand. Just using the lift will wear the arm out quickly- especially with the Expert drums.

For the cost of upgrading the motor and buying a new lift arm you could
    probably buy a lightly used current model machine off of eBay for substantially less expense.
    "A certain amount of contempt for the material employed to express an idea is indispensable to the purest realization of this idea." Man Ray

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hello Mark,

Sorry to hear you're having problems with your Jobo. I've had a CPP-2 w/lift for about 10 years using both the 3006 Expert Drum for 4x5 and various 1500/2500 series tanks for 35mm and 120. Being an amateur I wouldn't say that I've developed a lot of film with my Jobo, but I've never had any issue with slipping gears or any problem with the lift. That said, I do assist the lift when using the 3006 drum (regardless of solution amount) by grabbing and lifting the roller base with my right hand as I pull the lever with my left. If you don't do this I'd recommend it.

Sorry, I know this really isn't an answer for you but I thought I'd pass on my experience with the same equipment. I'm pretty sure that Jobo is still repairing these units so I'm a little surprised that you haven't heard anything back. In the past, they've always been fairly responsive to any e-mails I've sent.

Good luck!
    Regards,
    Alan Huntley
    www.silverscapephoto.com

hka
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    For a realy good advice ask this technician. He was in early days also a member of the technical staff of JOBO AG. He replaced my motor some weeks ago for less than ½ the price mentioned above. He can deliver any sparepart of the JOBO dev.machines.
    Look at http://www.fotolaborservice.de/
    harry

Release, the best you can do...

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Thank you all for your help!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    I just replaced my old CPP with an almost unused CPA 2 and have the same gear slipping problem. It seems no matter how much water is in the water bath or how much developer is in the Expert drum the problem persists. It occurs only when the drum is rotating in a closckwise direction.

My solution so far has been to give slight assistance by placing my hand on top of the drum and pushing gently in the direction of rotation. It is a PITA but Ihave found no other.

I used to get good answers from Jobo USA, but it is all but impossible to get them now.

JIm
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Films NOT Dead - Just getting fixed![/FONT]

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Yeah. I'll probably go back to tray developing my b/w film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Old thread alert....

Mine was doing this last night, same direction, clockwise only. I am thinking of shimming the drum end out a bit but can't see how to remove the gears, any ideas?

Also, when using my Beseler motor base in single direction only, the film looked great, any drawbacks to using the Jobo single direction only?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Noel View Post
    I just replaced my old CPP with an almost unused CPA 2 and have the same gear slipping problem. It seems no matter how much water is in the water bath or how much developer is in the Expert drum the problem persists. It occurs only when the drum is rotating in a closckwise direction.

My solution so far has been to give slight assistance by placing my hand on top of the drum and pushing gently in the direction of rotation. It is a PITA but Ihave found no other.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I bought a replacement gear on Ebay, and moved it to the other side. Fixed my slipping problem, at least for now.
    Keith Pitman
    Photographer
    www.keithpitman.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I just pulled the gears off, there is no way to really shim it, but oddly enough, I cleaned and re-greased them and then re-installed and the play it used to have is pretty much gone. There is a chance the prongs were not seated all the way. The gears look pretty much perfect, no wear that I can tell and the drum is like new...

Last night was the first time I ever used it, I did 7 sheets of 4x5 in a 3010 drum with 1,000ML of chemistry ( yep, maxed it out just to see ). I had to help it along on the clockwise rotation. So after I hung the film to dry, I filled the drum with 600ML and it seemed ok. One thing I did notice is that on the cog side of the lift, there is a piece that comes down near the cog that has a hole in it that lines up with a hole in the motor housing as if a dowel pin of some sort needs to go in there, of which I do not have. Is it possible the the lift is getting jacked up by the torque of reversing and lifting slightly off of the motor gear and that is the noise I am hearing?

Lastly, this unit might be a bit more labor intensive than is practical for me since I need to use it in the bathtub. I might just be better off with the Beseler motor base until I get a bigger place with a permanent darkroom space...
    Last edited by PKM-25; 06-10-2012 at 06:46 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin