Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 75,256   Posts: 1,660,463   Online: 949

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DieHipsterDie
    Now, where's the ignore user function?
    Hipster, whatever you do don't "ignore" Riger Hicks. He's been less than helpful in this discussion, but he's usually one of the most useful people around here! you can learn a lot from him; I learn a lot from him all the time. We sometimes disagree, and at times one of us will be an arrogant bastard (more often me than him). But anyway he's the wrong man to put on top of your "ignore list".

And then the enlarger:

Treat it as a condensor enlarger. I have two enlargers - an Opemus 6 Colour, and a Durst 138S. The Durst has a whopping great big frosted bulb and a set of condensors; the Opemus a halogen bulb and a mixing chamber. Changing the condensors in the Durst makes a big difference - they're "tuned" to the negative size and enlarger lens.

I find that I prefer the slightly increased contrast whichever enlarger I use, so I develop for diffusion.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Parker
    Andy,

Not everyone was a beginer, Roger came out of the womb with a Leica strapped around his neck!

LOL
    i thought it was a sinar!
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ole
    We sometimes disagree, and at times one of us will be an arrogant bastard (more often me than him).
    But Ole, no one has ever felt the need, desire, urge, compulsion or whatever you call it, to call you a bloviated old fart. Also I do not mean the Danish translation of fart either.
    Non Digital Diva

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, Hipster... I hope you discover what you need to about your enlarger. I looked everywhere on the web for info on them, and I found very little!

I remember when I got my enlarger... if it would not have been for the fact that I found a manual for it online, I would have probably been pretty clueless...and mine is definitely a condenser enlarger! I remember trying to figure out what the heck all that condenser/diffuser stuff meant, too... it was like every source defined things like you already knew what they were. It was a bummer!

I found this site and the IlfoPro site, and thankfully, there were so many people here who endured my totally-new-bular questions, so now, when I see someone asking those same types of questions I do my best to help out (if I can), hopefully in words that make sense to brand new people! So... carry on Hipster!
    Jeanette
    .................................................. ................
    Isaiah 25:1

Shooter
    35mm
    Hipster, whatever you do don't "ignore" Riger Hicks. He's been less than helpful in this discussion, but he's usually one of the most useful people around here!
    I'll second this advice. Roger Hicks is knowledgeable and his posts are generally informative and helpful. Maybe he's having a bad day today....

JLP
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What Aggie was trying to say was "fis"

jan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Roger and Frances have more than 50 books published. You can find them at Amazon. I even have a copy of "The Black and White Handbook" that has been very useful to me.

Before you start 'dishing' Roger, you better know what you're talking about, because he does.
    Bruce Osgood
    Chinese proverb
    "Print with #3.5 and burn with #1.5." B.J. Confucius
    [url]https://www.flickr.com/photos/128244094@N02/?/[url]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Bruce,

Knowing what your talking about and being just plain mean is two entirely different things..And I do respect Roger and have read his books as well as articles for years....as I got reminded the other day, what is a easy question for one person, might be a hard answer for another person....it was a legitimate question for a new person and was a mean answer by an old person to the business.

Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JLP
    What Aggie was trying to say was "fis"

jan
    Fis = fart

fart = speed

fease = face

I had that drilled into me when I was young when my sister made the mistake of saying my grandmothers face looked like a tomato. When she meant to say she farted and it smelled like a tomato.
    Non Digital Diva

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DieHipsterDie
    ....Now, where's the ignore user function?
    Hipster, whatever you do don't "ignore" Riger Hicks. He's been less than helpful in this discussion, but he's usually one of the most useful people around here! you can learn a lot from him; I learn a lot from him all the time. We sometimes disagree, and at times one of us will be an arrogant bastard (more often me than him). But anyway he's the wrong man to put on top of your "ignore list".
    Dear DieHipsterDie,

It's your choice. I think Roger was in rare form in treating you like trash in this thread.

With Roger, it seems that if he really has knowledge of a topic - he is helpful to answer the query. But there are times when he just has to have an opinion. I'm not sure he even knew the nature of your inquiry - but he decided to "key off" your name and go into the "Roger weird" persona.

In other words, Roger is our "expert" on everything - even things he knows nothing about.

And like most of us posting idiots - he often times doesn't know when to shut up!

And, just about uniquely, amongst us - Roger seems to have no capability to admit he might have been wrong about something (or anything, for that matter) - much less apologize. Even his lame apologies in this thread are "hedged".

Nonetheless, while I don't agree with Ole that Roger is "one of the most useful people around here", he is amusing. He likes to play the curmudgeon role - and that's necessary in any good bit of theater. And isn't a web forum just a bunch of ongoing theater?

Besides, there are far worse here (depending on personal preferences) that you may want to "Ignore" before putting Roger on the list.

The things to keep in mind about Roger is that:

1) He hates America (but not necessarily Americans).

2) He is a lapsed Luddite (he claims to be true to the Luddite faith - but somehow has a computer and likes to go on line - which is how he gets here).

3) He has gourmand tastes in wine and food - and the excess imbibing of the former sometimes informs his posts.

4) He thrives on being and iconoclast and irrasicable - thus, you can always "tease a rise" from him by pulling his chain. If you switch tables on Roger (wilely though he is) you can sometimes catch him at his own game.

Consider him a well-informed photographer (it's true about his publications and respect in the field) who is one of those greying bearded rascallions sitting at the far end of the bar in the pub and needing to tell the rest of us just how stupid we really are....

Or, conversely, think of Roger as a web toy - talk to him, toss him in the air and when you get really drowsy, drop him on the floor and go to sleep.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin