Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,665   Posts: 1,481,689   Online: 726

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Please Roger NEVER consider coming to teach in a school with insecure, low self esteem students- mind you they'd have fun paying you back !

I have a meopta enlarger, second hand - I think it's a condensor but my main criteria is that it produces clear prints from my mediocre negatives , I had no idea what it was when I bought it, other than they have a reputation fo being built like a tank and lasting forever.

Keep asking questions - otherwise you remain ignorant !
    Hmm- Wonder if she'd notice if I bought that :)

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by digiconvert
    Please Roger NEVER consider coming to teach in a school with insecure, low self esteem students- mind you they'd have fun paying you back !
    Ah, but the hard cases loved me. When you have them on your side, half the battle in teaching is won. When the next you hear is that they're down for GBH (Grievous Bodily Harm), as happened with one of my rougher pupils, you're really grateful they were on your side. And he was. Even the teachers were afraid of him. Except me. When we first met, I was a bit smacked up from a motorcycle accident. He said, "Hur, hur, you bin in the wars, aint'cher?" And I replied, "Yeah, but you should have seen the other bloke." I could do no wrong after that...

I was also pretty good with the remedial kids and at getting the smart ones into university/art school. My only real problems were with the insecure, low self esteem teachers and (worse still) would-be teacher trainers: I taught without formal training, as you could 30+ years ago. I am actually a qualified secondary school teacher, despite the efforts of the last, though I've not been in a classroom in over a quarter of a century. Really, if you want insecurity and low self esteem, look in the staff room, not among the pupils.

It's also surprising how different everything is face-to-face -- and 36-against-1. When it's 'live' instead of sequential, the whole dynamic changes.

One of the loveliest compliments I ever had was in my late 30s. A young man came up to me and said, "Mr. Hicks, innit?"

To cut a long story short, I'd taught him 10 years earlier. The conversation more or less ended with "Us didn't think us learned f**k nothin' in your classes, but lookin' back, us learned f***in' more there than in the rest of the f***in' school put together."

I'm glad I wasn't his English teacher, though...

Cheers,

Roger

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This thread interests me.

Ironically, if Roger had asked the question, it might have been a dumb question, but because DieHipsterDie is a beginner, it's not.

If the thread title had been "Beginner's question" or "Really naive question", I think all of us would have read the question entirely differently.

If the question had been more like "How can I tell whether my Durst F30 is a condenser or diffusion enlarger?", I think all of us would have read the question entirely differently.

Even better, if the initial question had been more like "I don't know what is meant by a condenser enlarger, or a diffusion enlarger. Is my Durst F30 a condenser or diffusion enlarger? How could I tell?".

One really good thing about APUG is that there is almost universal agreement that there is no shame in being a rank beginner, and that questions from newbies are welcome. There may be a resulting referral to another source, or a suggestion about searching the archives, but questions from beginners are encouraged. The only thing we ask is that you identify your level of knowledge so that we can gauge the best sort of response.

I expect that Roger fell into the trap of assuming that because DieHipsterDie used the terms condenser and diffusion in a sentence that made sense, then DieHipsterDie had familiarity with and understood those terms. That is something all of us who use jargon regularly need to guard against (us lawyers often are the second worst offenders, after IT people).

When it is not otherwise clear, probably the best response to a question like this is another question enquiring about the level of knowledge of the person asking it. The trick is to know when that question might cause offence. Post count is clearly an unreliable clue.

I was thinking about this last night before falling asleep. For some crazy reason, I remembered a scene from an old Mary Tyler Moore TV show, where they were trying to teach Ted how to play poker. There were all sorts of discussions about how straights beat flushes and three of a kind beat two pair etc., etc., and Ted nodded knowingly and appeared to understand. Then, when they were finished, they asked him if he had any questions. He responded: "What is a kind?"

Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    When I was young I asked many questions. One of my uncles once said "you ask too many questions" to which, at the age of 14, I answered "if I don't ask questions how can I learn". That shut him up in a hurry.
    Just something from my past I thought I'd throw in.
    This is the kind of thread that makes the internet a great place.
    I love it. I'm glad I found this site. APUG is a great place to learn as well as impart information to those who ask.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing
    I expect that Roger fell into the trap of assuming that because DieHipsterDie used the terms condenser and diffusion in a sentence that made sense, then DieHipsterDie had familiarity with and understood those terms. That is something all of us who use jargon regularly need to guard against (us lawyers often are the second worst offenders, after IT people).
    Dear Matt,

Thanks for the kind let-out, which is accurate, but still better than I deserve.

Cheers,

R.

Shooter
    35mm
    No worries, Roger. Thanks for the info. Now, is it normal for my indicator stop bath to turn purple after only two light sessions?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DieHipsterDie
    No worries, Roger. Thanks for the info. Now, is it normal for my indicator stop bath to turn purple after only two light sessions?
    How light is light? i have had my stop bath turn purple after 30 10x8 rc prints
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by DieHipsterDie
    Dear DHD,

Drain your prints more first. Let them drip for a few seconds more.

But if it's a citric acid (odourless) bath the capacity will be a LOT less than a traditional acetic acid (vinegar-smelling) bath.

Cheers,

R.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Hicks
    Dear DHD,

Drain your prints more first. Let them drip for a few seconds more.

But if it's a citric acid (odourless) bath the capacity will be a LOT less than a traditional acetic acid (vinegar-smelling) bath.

Cheers,

R.

Now I see the Teacher coming out . Sorry if I jumped down your throat, must have been one of those moments.

Cheers CJB
    Hmm- Wonder if she'd notice if I bought that :)

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by digiconvert
    Now I see the Teacher coming out . Sorry if I jumped down your throat, must have been one of those moments.

Cheers CJB
    Dear CJB

No worries.

Cheers,

R.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin