Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,476   Posts: 1,542,654   Online: 780

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

Really dumb question

Is my Durst F30 a condenser or diffusion enlarger? Got it second hand and can't find much info online.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by DieHipsterDie
    Is my Durst F30 a condenser or diffusion enlarger? Got it second hand and can't find much info online.
    I hate to say it, but yes, it is pretty dumb. You have the enlarger. Does it have condensers or a diffusion chamber? This is a clue...

There are hybrids, of course.

Cheers,

R.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Are there one, two, or three big lenses between the light bulb and the negative carrier? If there are, then it's a condenser enlarger.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DieHipsterDie
    There are no dumb questions, if you don't know, you don't know. Having snide replies by someone you would think would have the common decency to be kind to a questioner when they might know the anser is just plain rude. I wish I knew the answer, but I don't. I have no knowledge of Durst.
    Non Digital Diva

Shooter
    35mm
    It is most emphatically not a dumb question! It's simply a question that reveals lack of knowledge about how to tell the difference!

A condenser enlarger uses one or more condensers, which resemble large lens elements, to spread the light from a bulb evenly over the area of the negative. This contrasts with a diffusion enlarger, which uses a diffusion box (basically just a box with a white interior) between the light source and the negative to do the same thing. You can generally find condensers or a diffusion box on your enlarger, but you may need to open panels or partially disassemble the head to make a positive identification. Try looking for access points just above the lens; that's where the condensers or diffusion box would be.

As a general rule, condenser enlargers have cylindrical or bulbous heads with the bulb at the top, whereas diffusion enlargers have boxy heads with the bulb at the rear (the diffusion box changes the light path from horizontal to vertical). There are exceptions to this rule, though; for instance, my Philips PCS130 is a condenser model with a boxy head. I'm unfamiliar with the Durst F30, but a quick Web search turns up hits suggesting that it's a condenser model, and the photos I found of it show it having a boxy appearance, so it may be similar to my Philips in being a boxy condenser enlarger -- or it may be a model with multiple heads or accessories that can convert it from one to the other.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    only a dumb question if you are not a beginner, like many of us who are beginners, and try to use these forums to get info we can't get from the choads at Best Buy or Ritz camera.

My internet search also found shockingly little info on the Durst F30. I don't know the answer to your question, and will withhold passing judgement on the merit of the question.

Good luck, and don't be afraid to post any questions to the forums. Sorry I couldn't help.

Cheers

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Hicks
    I hate to say it, but yes, it is pretty dumb. You have the enlarger. Does it have condensers or a diffusion chamber? This is a clue...

There are hybrids, of course.

Cheers,

R.
    There are no stupid questions, only stupid answers. Sometimes it pays to remember that.

I sincerely hope Diehipsterdie is not put off from future participation on APUG by Roger's particularly stupid answer.

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, Roger was a bit abrupt, but it's true that condenser enlargers have condensers... but if you have no idea what the heck a condenser is, then he may as well have told you that firligmats always have a firligmat.

Condensers are large magnifying glass lenses, and there are two of them. So, look inside the head of your enlarger, and see if you have some sort of drawer or receptacle that is holding a pair of convex lenses. If you do, then, viola! you have a condenser enlarger!
    Jeanette
    .................................................. ................
    Isaiah 25:1

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Sorry, but it IS a dumb question. Anyone who has ever read anything about enlargers in a real book would have no difficulty in working this out for himself/herself. Relying solely on internet forums to be led by the hand (or nose) is not a good way to learn anything.

When it comes to enlarger design, this is about as basic as it gets, and I find it hard to imagine BUYING an enlarger without an understanding of (a) what 'condenser', 'condenser-diffuser' and 'diffuser' mean and (b) what sort of enlarger you are buying. It's like buying a Leica and asking 'Is it 35mm?'

If I have offended the feelings of diehipsterdie I apologize, but equally, I can't bring myself to apologize too priofoundly to someone who chooses a name which I find pretty offensive too.

Cheers,

Roger

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by BWGirl
    Well, Roger was a bit abrupt, but it's true that condenser enlargers have condensers... but if you have no idea what the heck a condenser is, then he may as well have told you that firligmats always have a firligmat.

Condensers are large magnifying glass lenses, and there are two of them. So, look inside the head of your enlarger, and see if you have some sort of drawer or receptacle that is holding a pair of convex lenses. If you do, then, viola! you have a condenser enlarger!
    Jeanette has phrased it a lot more tactfully, but yes, this is what I was saying. If you can't derive the answer for yourself, you may well be unable to understand the answer, and you are even less likely to understand the implications of the answer.

We all try to run before we can walk, but this one struck me as carrying this concept too far.

Cheers,

Roger

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin