Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,980   Posts: 1,523,797   Online: 1180

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Beseler 23C-II Dual Dichro Color Head

I want to print some 6X9 B&W negatives with a Beseler 23C-11 equipped with a Dual Dichro S color head. The color head has a Sylvania 300 watt bulb, #J498.

The unit prints very slow, about two stops slower than when I print with the original condenser head with its 75 watt bulb.

Is this normal? Are bulbs available for the Dual Dichro S color head that print faster?

Sandy King

Shooter
    35mm
    It would print much faster if you switch it over to condenser mode. If you buy it used you may not have all the parts to switch between condenser and diffused mode. Basically to operate in diffused mode you need the honey comb light integrator and the diffusing chamber for the correct negative size. To operate in condenser mode you would use the condensing lenses from the old B&W head and the cone light integrator.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Chan Tran
    It would print much faster if you switch it over to condenser mode. If you buy it used you may not have all the parts to switch between condenser and diffused mode. Basically to operate in diffused mode you need the honey comb light integrator and the diffusing chamber for the correct negative size. To operate in condenser mode you would use the condensing lenses from the old B&W head and the cone light integrator.
    Hi Chan,

Thanks very much for your response. I originally installed the Dual Dichro S color head in diffusion mode because I wanted to use it that way. However, as I recall I bought the color head new and should have all of th parts and the instruction manual to swtich over to condenser mode. I probably will, since printing is very, very slow in the diffusion mode.

Sandy King

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I have the same enlarger, and I am considering going back to a condenser head. The enlarger is wonderful, but it takes a long time to get exposues. I think this is common with the 23C.
    [COLOR=Cyan]We should be taught not to wait for inspiration to start a thing. Action always generates inspiration. Inspiration seldom generates action.
    - Frank Tibolt[/COLOR]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have the same rig. I switched back to condensor mode, and use contrast filters in the filter drawer above the condensor lenses. MUCH shorter exposure times than the dicro head. More contrasty than the diffusor head too. Dust and scratches on your negs will show up more too.
    Rick Jason.
    "I'm still developing"

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin