Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,549   Posts: 1,544,608   Online: 769

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sticky reels

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Sticky reels

Does anyone have any solutions to prevent film buckling on the film reel? Sometimes it goes on nice and smooth, other times it will go on smooth then towards the end build up tension and eventually pop out of the ball bearings. I've manged to develop a couple of films with the very end trailing off. However, this causes a few nasty marks on the negs. I wish i could get it right every time. Ideas?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Are you having the problem on the first roll of your session or the second, third, etc. I was having similar issues until i noticed very small water droplets on the reel. I thought they were completely dry but all it takes is one drop for the film to stick to. Make sure the reels are 100% dry. I've had an easier time loading 24exp. rolls vs. 36exp.

vinny
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I assume that you are using Paterson reels. As has been mentioned these should be completely dry before use. Check that the balls are free to move in their grooves as if they are stuck it can make loading difficult. Lastly, and in contradiction to my initial advice, if the film jams during loading, then immerse film and reel in water, and continue loading. It seems that a little water makes the film stick, but a lot lubricates!
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wildbill
    Are you having the problem on the first roll of your session or the second, third, etc. I was having similar issues until i noticed very small water droplets on the reel. I thought they were completely dry but all it takes is one drop for the film to stick to. Make sure the reels are 100% dry. I've had an easier time loading 24exp. rolls vs. 36exp.

vinny
    I know it's nothing to do with moisture on the reels. I only process one film at a time, leaving the tank out to dry for a few days between sessions. I'll be getting a double tank to speed things up before visiting Kracow in October where I hope to shoot a whole load of films. I thought it was something to do with one particular reel, but the film becomes tense toward the end of both the ones I have. When turning it the film doesn't want to advance any more. I've realised these's alot of excess film toward the front of the roll. I'll try and cut some extra of this off next time.

Images
    Good Afternoon, Jarvman,

Stainless steel reels. Hewes, top choice; Kinderman, extremely close second.

Konical

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarvman
    Does anyone have any solutions to prevent film buckling on the film reel?
    Ideas?
    The reason I gave up on plastic reels was that could no longer afford the losses due to "sticky" reels.

That being said, I would never demand that you gently dispose of the reels presently in your posession, but rather that you take a few minutes to properly clean the reel before next use... using a dilute solution of detergent and household bleach..... and your mother-in law's best toothbrush.

Yes.... mother-in-laws' toothbrushes ARE (by far) the favoured brush for assisting in the removal of the build up of what can only be described as "gunk" on reels that have gone unclean(ed) to the point that the film is "sticking" and causing the near heart-attack condition resulting from the loss of what would have been the "award-winning" exposure.

Ken
    Quando omni flunkus moritati (R. Green)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Would stainless steel reels make a big difference? I'll check out the names you suggested. As for dirty reels. The brand new one I tried (which hasn't been used once) is causing more trouble than the tainted yellow secondhand one which came in a pile of stuff with my enlarger, hmm. I never had this trouble in school and their reels were stinking. I'll just have to be more patient I suppose.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Konical
    ......Stainless steel reels. Hewes, top choice; Kinderman, extremely close second......
    I have always had problems with plastic reels. And, s/s reels can be reused even if damp. Hewes s/s reels are a great lifetime investment.
    —Eric

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks alot, I'll look into buying some.

More bleedin' money again!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Double check that S/steel reels will fit the drum you have. I don't think that they are interchangable, but could be wrong.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin