Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,699   Posts: 1,482,575   Online: 866

Shooter
    Multi Format

Damaged Condenser Lens

I recently picked up a 4x5 Beseler condenser head for a fairly low price. Unfortunately it wasn't packed well and showed up with chips in the lower element at the three locations where there are retaining "clips" (for lack of the apprpriate term). Given the price it's not worth shipping it back. So my questions are:
    [A] Are the elements symmetrical? They appear to be.

[B] Should I flip the damaged bottom element to the top, under the same thinking that a scratch to a front lens element is "better" than a scratch to a rear element? I would use a Sharpie permanent marker to black over the damaged areas to reduce reflections.

[C] Before I spend my time breaking down and reassembling the thing, how much will this really affect the image making? I'm hardly a pro, or trying to make my living at this. I bought the condenser head as a back-up to the color head I currently have, assuming that the dichroic filters will eventually go.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    So it's on the outside edge? Make a print and see. They might not matter at all. Only way to tell is to test it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Zentena View Post
    So it's on the outside edge? Make a print and see. They might not matter at all. Only way to tell is to test it.
    The damage extends in from the edge between a 1/4" to 1/2" and is about 1" to 1 1/2" long. It broke off in scalloped patterns, so I can imagine them reflecting quite a bit.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    If reflection or refraction is a problem, try black heat resistant paint. Also, rotating the condenser so the chips aren't in the light path to the corners of the image should minimize any effect.

Images
    I thought I just saw a free condenser lens in the classifieds at one of these photo groups. Thought it was here, but a quick look didn't show it. Hmmm?
    Watch for Loose Gravel

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have had luck using a black permanent marker, like a Sharpie on condenser chips. I was getting a couple little white spots in a my prints on a old Omega B22, I used the marker on the chips and the spots went away.

James

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jmailand View Post
    I have had luck using a black permanent marker, like a Sharpie on condenser chips. I was getting a couple little white spots in a my prints on a old Omega B22, I used the marker on the chips and the spots went away.

James
    I just saw your new message about the chips being on the edge. My chip were on the edge and were about the size of a nickel and the black marker did the job.

Jmaes,

Shooter
    Multi Format
    do you paint the whole chip or just the rim of it?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have chips just like yours on my Omega D-2. It hasn't bothered me yet.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by argus View Post
    do you paint the whole chip or just the rim of it?
    I painted the whole chip on my enlarger.

James, (hey I spelled it right this time, I got a D in typing back in high school)

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin