Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,301   Posts: 1,536,175   Online: 706

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks again for all of the extremely helpful information!

Judging from the photos in the Darkroom Portraits thread, my bathroom is probably about the same size as David Goldfarb's. I love the cart set up; I have seen carts at IKEA that look very appropriate, and using the cart would give me more flexibility when choosing an enlarger.

Using a cart would broaden my options to include whatever I can haul up to my 4th floor walk-up apartment with the help of a friend and can fit through the bathroom door (i.e. something 23" wide or less). There is an Omega D2 in my area...is that too heavy for 2-3 people to drag up a few flights of stairs?

TheFlyingCamera, I'd be very interested in those plans! I'd be most grateful if you could email them to me at krobel [at] berkeley.edu.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Depend on the people. I think personally I could move it myself.

Usually you can take things apart with most enlargers. Remove the head. Maybe the baseboard. It makes them lighter but also easier to move in a confined space. Plus if you take the head off you're less likely to drop the head with it's condensors.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Zentena View Post
    Usually you can take things apart with most enlargers. Remove the head. Maybe the baseboard. It makes them lighter but also easier to move in a confined space. Plus if you take the head off you're less likely to drop the head with it's condensors.
    This sort of thing can be useful in shipping an enlarger or in getting it to the 4th-floor apartment that rkathleen mentions. I wouldn't want to rely on it to get the enlarger in and out of a makeshift bathroom darkroom on a regular basis, though. (An exception might be a small enlarger that's designed to be broken down and reassembled quickly, like one of the "suitcase" models I and others have mentioned.)

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I'm just using an ordinary rolling typewriter table (do they still make those?), but if you don't need to fit the enlarger over the toilet, I've seen some carts that people have built with the enlarger column bolted to the cart, a multi-level enlarging stage in the form of a shelf that can be set at different levels, and a storage cabinet underneath. I think there may be plans for such a thing in the old _Morgan and Morgan Darkroom Book_.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera View Post
    ...ie, a 16x20 processor has a smaller
    footprint than a single 16x20 tray...
    That may be though processing conventionally an eight
    slot processor would be needed to duplicate what I
    can do with one tray. That is, develop, stop, fix1,
    rinse, fix2, rinse, hca, and rinse. If toning is to
    be done it can follow in that same one tray.

A second tray is needed for holding and for use
    when employing the two tray wash method.

Single tray and rotary processing are similar. Each have
    in common the use of a single container for all chemistry
    and it's in and out with each next step. As with rotary
    the chemistry can be used again, or as some do, it
    can be used one-shot. Dan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    FYI "Federal 291 portable film enlarger in carry case "
    check ebay # 140034280428

Currently $9.95
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dancqu View Post
    That may be though processing conventionally an eight
    slot processor would be needed to duplicate what I
    can do with one tray. That is, develop, stop, fix1,
    rinse, fix2, rinse, hca, and rinse. If toning is to
    be done it can follow in that same one tray.

A second tray is needed for holding and for use
    when employing the two tray wash method.

Single tray and rotary processing are similar. Each have
    in common the use of a single container for all chemistry
    and it's in and out with each next step. As with rotary
    the chemistry can be used again, or as some do, it
    can be used one-shot. Dan
    Yes, but Dan, with the three-slot processor, I can have one print in each slot at the same time. I've never seen a tube that will let me process three 16x20 prints simultaneously. If you're looking for improved speed efficiency, single tray processing is NOT the way to go. If you put decent sized drains on the vertical processor, you can do what you're doing by draining the chems out of each slot between each print, and then refill. However, this produces two side effects- one, cross-contamination (still happens with tubes too, but to a lesser degree because you're using lower chemistry volumes) and greater chemical waste. Between what you lose to oxidation/evaporation and what you lose to spillage, single tray processing is far less efficient.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rkathleen View Post
    There is an Omega D2 in my area...is that too heavy for 2-3 people to drag up a few flights of stairs?.
    No - it's heavy, but one reasonably fit person can schlep it.

Practically, a more significantly concern is transporting it. When I picked up my DII (precursor to the D2), I was driving a Saturn, and it wouldn't fit into the trunk. Had to removed it from the baseboard (easy to do), and even I had to go home to get my wife's station wagon.
    Louie

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I do all my processing in light-tight tanks (film) or tubes (paper). My Beseler 67C sits on a microwave cart with two shelves below. Each of the shelves holds a rubbermaid bin - together they are almost big enough to hold all my darkroom equipment.

With the tubes, you lose the benefit of seeing the image on the paper appearing as if by magic, but you gain the benefit of doing all the processing steps in the light. In my case, that means the kitchen counter, complete with window view.

Matt

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin