Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,686   Posts: 1,482,319   Online: 962

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Another convert! I gave up on plastic 30 years ago, stainless rocks.
    DIGITAL IS FOR THOSE AFRAID OF THE DARK.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have plastic... I've loaded probably 500 or 700 rolls of film into them.

Failures: zero.

If you can't get the film to go in, bow the film and pull it out. If you don't want to bow film, you definitely shouldn't use stainless steel reels as this is an essential part of loading them.

Occasionally I have trouble feeding a plastic reel - usually if the reel is not quite dry or if the darkroom is very humid - so I just slow down and be patient. Cutting the corners of the leading edge of the film often helps, too.

Stainless steel reels are good but they are harder to learn to load. You trade one set of problems for another.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Gave up on plastic many, many years ago and haven't looked back once. I realize there are those that swear by plastic, but I could never figure out why. As for the learning... hardly a problem IMO. Once you've practiced in the light and dark with dummy rolls, you are home free.

Best of luck Stephanie,

Bill

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've used (and I use) plastic and stainless steel.
    On the plastic side only the jobo reels are really well thought, all the others ended driving me nuts sooner or later, and being able to load 2 120 rolls / reel is a sweet feature. I really like the 1500 tanks.
    The stainless steel reels are very easy to load, and they don't fear jumping into the wetting bath, but the downsides are that ss tanks are more sensible to ambient temperature and will take more chemicals per roll (at least in 120).

If you're already using the jobo tanks there are SS reels designed to fit them, not exactly cheap, but they bring the best of two worlds.
    Last edited by Muihlinn; 09-24-2006 at 10:53 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: typos
    Luis Miguel Castañeda Navas
    http://imaginarymagnitude.net/

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I use all plastic reels. So far Paterson and two versions of Jobo reels. I haven't had that kind of problems, although I once had to gice up on a 120 roll. I removed it from the reel, rolled it up again, went for a l-o-n-g walk, then loaded it on a different reel when I got back.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Also, do not use photo flo while your film is still on a plastic reel. The photo flo will gum up the plastic and or ball bearing that his holding the film in place and will make it difficult to load later on. If you have used photo flo in the past, use an old toothbrush and clean the reel thoroughly.

Shmoo
    Save the Earth. It's the only planet with chocolate.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie Brim View Post
    I broke a roll of film today and that's IT. I'm looking for stainless reels and a stainless tank. I quit plastic. I didn't get impatient. I didn't rush things. It still happened.
    Another vote for Hewes reels for MF. Would buy new though, to avoid getting abused or bent reels. Expensive, but in my opinion, definitely worth it.

Sincerely,

Hany.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Ditto for Hewes...

Putting my vote in for Hewes! I picked up the 35 mm for real cheap and just bought the 120 size from Freestyle. Just a note I find the 120 Hewes easy to use because the spring clip thing is wide and better designed than cheaper models. Also I was able to pick up a Patterson steel tank on feebay on the cheap!

Nancy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Stainless reels or nothing for me.

I've been everywhere ooooohhh yeaahhhh still I'm standing tall.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sometimes with 35mm the sprockets can get torn, but if you're careful you can avoid this-just stop before you get too frustrated and try and force it. Remember fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate and hate leads to suffering as Yoda said.Also remember to leave the film leader hanging out of the cassette.
    "He took to writing poetry and visiting the elves: and though many shook their heads and touched their foreheads and said 'Poor old Baggins!' and though few believed any of his tales, he remained very happy till the end of his days, and those were extraordinarily long "- JRR Tolkien, ' The Hobbit '.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin