Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,808   Posts: 1,581,511   Online: 1043

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

I vow no more plastic!

I broke a roll of film today and that's IT. I'm looking for stainless reels and a stainless tank. I quit plastic. I didn't get impatient. I didn't rush things. It still happened.

Off to the 'bay.
    No idea what's going to happen next, but I'm hoping it involves being wrist deep in chemicals come the weekend.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    How did you break a roll of film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Do yourself a favor, Stephanie, and get Hewes reels. They might also be called Jobo here in the states. A bit more expensive, but they will last and last, and they make it easy easy easy to roll the film on!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I was loading it on the plastic reel and it wasn't going...so I opened the reel to get the film off and fwwwp...broken film. So I have two films hanging instead of one.

It is sucky, too, as there were a few awesome shots on this one.

I've also emailed someone here about the tanks + reels in the classifieds...it'll last me until I die most likely.
    No idea what's going to happen next, but I'm hoping it involves being wrist deep in chemicals come the weekend.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I recommend buying several sizes of stainless tanks on eBay. Stainless tanks are more or less indestructable, so there isn't much reason to buy new ones. Look for tanks that are missing the lids, because they'll be cheaper, and buy new Kindermann plastic lids from B&H. With a few exceptions (large 220 and 70mm tanks, the Nikor 4x5" tank, the Kindermann film washer, which looks like an 8x35mm reel tank, but is actually slightly larger and lacks a daylight cap and should have a metal tube with a hose fitting on top), the caps are interchangeable. Kindermann lids fill and dump faster than generic or Kalt lids. Metal lids like on the Nikor tanks can be hard to remove when wet, so I've generally replaced mine with plastic Kindermann lids.

I'd recommend buying new Hewes reels to avoid frustrations with bent reels. Of course if you get a lot of reels off eBay for cheap, you can test them out with a test roll in the light and toss the bad ones.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well Steph, thats what you get from developing after a sleepless night.
    Though I have had problems with my plastic reels form time to time that one has never happened to me.
    Better luck next time.
    Cheers
    Søren
    Send from my Electronic Data Management Device using TWOFingerTexting

Technology distinquishable from magic is insufficiently developed

Søren Nielsen
    Denmark

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Oh, there won't BE a next time. As soon as I get some stainless tanks and reels the plastic stuff is either going into the bin or to people who need it.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    What plastic brand? ive found that paterson is the best. if you go for cheaper reels, it wont load as easily.

i use a hairdryer on my rools before loading just incase
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

Images
    Good Morning, Stephanie,

I concur with the sentiments expressed above, but would add a couple of points. First--Hewes reels were (are?) sold in the US under the King Concept brand, although the "Hewes" imprint is still on the reels. Second--in past postings, I have also advocated using Hewes reels. I continue to do so, at least in 35mm. The loading is virtually foolproof, and the reels are sturdy enough to be a lifetime investment. Recently, however, I spotted some Hewes 120 reels for sale on E-Bay. I don't have any of those and was thinking of bidding, but when I looked at the accompanying photo, I noticed that Hewes apparently uses the Nikkor-type "springy-thingy" at the reel center. I have found that method of anchoring 120 film to be slightly frustrating in use. For 120 I highly recommend using Kinderman reels, which have a very positive puncturing pin to anchor the film and whose high quality is essentially the same as that of Hewes. Kinderman tanks and tops are the way to go regardless of the reel type, but, as David says, the plastic Kinderman top is where the main emphasis should be. Kinderman stuff is practically being given away on E-bay these days.

Konical

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie Brim View Post
    I was loading it on the plastic reel and it wasn't going...so I opened the reel to get the film off and fwwwp...broken film. So I have two films hanging instead of one.
    ??? I'm convincing myself that there is something going on here I cannot visualize.

You "opened" the reel? Does that mean you twisted each flange in a different - proper - direction and disassembled the reel with film still - improperly - in the tracks? If so, why wasn't the film simply pulled out, leaving the reel assembled?

It does not happen frequently ... but when I do "get stuck" I simply pull the film out and start over.

You say the film "broke" ... ?? Does that mean it was torn into two pieces? What kind of film was it?

Again, the best advice I can give ... you will avoid 99.99% of loading problems by doing two things: 1. Do not apply pressure "inwardly" - squeezing the reel flanges together - while loading (PRACTICE helps); and, 2. Once in a while, disassemble the reels and scrub the tracks CLEAN - I use a stiff toohbrush, with TOOTHPASTE - just enough abrasive.
    Last edited by Ed Sukach; 09-24-2006 at 11:17 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Spelling correction - Where is "spell check" while "replying"?a
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin