Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,699   Posts: 1,482,605   Online: 807

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Jobo 1566 reels - any experience?

I have recently started doing MF photography. I have a fair amount of experience with 35mm and with LF, and am now trying out MF.

For 35mm, I develop using Hewes SS reels, in hand held stainless tanks - works well for me. I can do 4 or 5 rolls at once, no problems, and can process one batch right after another if I have a lot to do.

For 4x5 I use a Jobo processor and the 2500 series tanks and reels, allows me to develop up to 18 sheets at a time, and again, it works for me.

For MF I am still trying to find my path. I find that after a day out with the MF camera, I am coming back with several rolls that need processing, I don't like the really big hand held tanks, so it means several batches through the SS tanks with SS reels.

I can process several rolls at once in my Jobo processor (I have been using the 1500 series tanks, and 1501 reels) This will allow me to process 5 rolls at once, 10 if I could figure out how to get two rolls on one reel and feel comfortable about it. - I hate the plastic reels. If they are not 100% dry, which they won't be if I have a lot of film to process, then they are very difficult to load. They seem difficult even if they are completely dry.

I have seen that Jobo (Hewes) makes a SS reel that fits in the tanks with the plastic cores - does anybody have any experience with these? - at over $40 each, I am hesitant to buy a bunch of them just to try them out.

Alternately, if anybody has experience with the plastic reels for the 2500 series tanks - if you know if those are better than the 1500 series, I'd appreciate that input too.

Thanks

Mark

Shooter
    Multi Format
    2502 [I think that's the right number] are bigger then the 1500 reels. I've no problem loading them up with 2 rolls of 120. Or one of 220.

Some claim that because they're bigger it's easier to load. But like anything else YMMV.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I also use the larger plastic reels in my 25xx series tanks for MF. Works fine. I can't recall having one stick, but I'm rarely in enough of a hurry not to dry the reels thoroughly. Just don't lose the clip that allows you to put two 120 rolls on each reel...

I've never tried S/S reels or the smaller series of tanks and reels so can't comment on those.

Cheers, Bob.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I've got the 2500 series tanks and reels. I hate them. Even bone dry they only want to load halfway before getting stuck. I hate to think what would happen if I was trying to load 220. I wish there were stainless steel reels for the 2500 series atnk, but AFAIK there are only the hewes reels for the 1500 series. I've been thinking about those too.

FWIW, most of my reels are white, which may be an older style as the illustrations I see for new reels are usually black. This may have a bearing on my experiences.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin