Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,536   Posts: 1,544,163   Online: 896

Thread: cathomag head

Images

cathomag head

Just been looking at a devere 302 enlarger on ebay UK it has a cathomag head. Is the cold light head a step up from a normal dichrioc condensor enlarger, and if you put ilford multigrade filters under the lens will the cold light head still make a difference?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by bogeyes View Post
    Just been looking at a devere 302 enlarger on ebay UK it has a cathomag head. Is the cold light head a step up from a normal dichrioc condensor enlarger, and if you put ilford multigrade filters under the lens will the cold light head still make a difference?
    In my opinion a cathomag cold light head will not produce satisfactory results with variable contrast paper. The colour of the light is quite blue when compared to condensor and diffusion enlargers making it more difficult to achieve the softer grades. Some printers have used extra yellow below the lens filtration to minimise the effect of the blue light. My experience when I used a Cathomag was far from satisfactory and I finally dumped the enlarger on the tip and replaced it with a Zone VI VC enlarger.
    "Digital circuits are made from analogue parts"
    Fourtune Cookie-Brooklyn May 2006

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Les McLean View Post
    In my opinion a cathomag cold light head will not produce satisfactory results with variable contrast paper. The colour of the light is quite blue when compared to condensor and diffusion enlargers making it more difficult to achieve the softer grades. Some printers have used extra yellow below the lens filtration to minimise the effect of the blue light. My experience when I used a Cathomag was far from satisfactory and I finally dumped the enlarger on the tip and replaced it with a Zone VI VC enlarger.
    Thank you Les, you have satisfied my curiosity, the enlarger can stay where it is even though it is only £20.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin