Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,205   Posts: 1,531,781   Online: 893

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wilsonneal View Post
    I would LOVE to see a photo of this arrangement at the back of your sink? What kind of fans are you using to connect to the 4 inch PVC? Where does it vent to...outside? Very interested in this arrangement and timing couldn't be better.
    I am sorry but I don’t have a digital camera to show you. Possibly a description will help. On the outside wall of the basement darkroom I have an eight foot stainless Arkay sink on a stand. There is a cabinet to the left of the sink holding the print washers. That pretty much fills the 13 foot wall.

Above the sink in the rafters approximately four feet apart are two in line rafter fans pointing outside. The top of the wall is about four feet above outside ground level. The 120 cfm Panasonic fans are here http://www.rewci.com/panwhisvenfa.html. The intake for the fans are about two feet in from the wall. White 4 inch PVC pipe from Lowes or Home Depot is connected to the fan intake. PVC pipe drops and curves down to the splash rail of the sink back. At the sink end of the pipe I have two Ts effectively giving intake the 8’ length of the sink. The sink is 30” deep. I use stainless trays for 16x20 prints. The intake is above the trays hard against the far wall and splash rail effectively pulling the fumes away from me, up and out. This as opposed to the common mistake of a having a ceiling fan that pulls the fumes straight up from the trays right by the user’s nose.

Across the 10’ depth of the room I have this fan http://www.rewci.com/panfvwhis.html pulling air through a furnace filter, out into the darkroom at about four feet, toward my back when standing in front of the sink, toward the intake of the exhaust fans.

Again these fans are more expensive than common bathroom fans, but they are Q U I E T, allow me to listen to music or simply think about what I am doing in silence. Kodak says the minimum accepted is to change the air in the room six times an hour. Personally I like to have enough breeze so that I have to wear heavy shoes and hold on with one hand.

I hope this is clear. If not please ask questions.

John Powers

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jp80874 View Post
    Above the sink in the rafters approximately four feet apart are two in line rafter fans pointing outside...

I hope this is clear. If not please ask questions.

John Powers
    Yes, John. Thanks, that's very clear. Gives me some thoughts on different ways to rig my exhaust system. Thanks,
    Neal

Shooter
    Large Format
    I built a s/s backsplash for my sink that is shaped like a 10x10-inch x 9-foot (length of my sink) 3-sided box. This is set to overlap the back side of the sink by 1 inch, to allow a 1-inch x 9-foot opening over my sink area. Just behind the sink is a 900 cfm exhaust fan on the outside wall, wired to a rheostat, which opens into the backsplash. The backsplash acts as a shroud to collect fumes from the sink area and duct them outside. The backsplash also serves as a flat area to mount the faucets.

Makeup air comes in high on the opposite wall through a fan/filter device used in wood shops. It also has a rheostat to control flow. I usually adjust the incoming flow slightly higher than the outflow, to slightly pressurize the room. Having excess cfm capacity, I can turn it up high to clear the room or for certain processes that create more fumes, and then turn it down to a whisper for other processes.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sink vent.jpg  
    —Eric

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Awesome looking setup.
    N

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jp80874 View Post
    Yes. The incoming air is sucked by a fan through a high quality furnace filter to keep any dust or dog hair outside the darkroom. This is on the dry side of the 10x13 foot darkroom.

On the opposite wall, the wet side, I have two fans with 4 inch PVC pipe putting the intakes at the top of the eight foot sink splash rail, sucking the fumes from the trays away from me and outside.

I particularly like the Panasonic Whisper Line fans because they are very quiet, a bit more expensive than most and have the added advantage of sending the air in the direction indicated.

John Powers
    Thanks very much. I'll take a look at those Panasonic fans.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Doran Fan Disappointing

I went the easy/cheap route on darkroom ventilation. I went with a Doran 12x12 on one end of sink, and at the other end, 6 feet away, is a lite-tite vent. The Doran is advertised as 400CFM. I hooked it all up and it didn't seem to move the air at all, similar to another post here on APUG. I called Regal (nice people) and their suggestion was to remove two of the four internal baffles. I did this, and was able to get some perceptible airflow (used an incense stick to create a little smoke for testing). I have a LITTLE airflow, but nothing like 400CFM.

I am disappointed. And it's too much of a hassle to do anything else right now. I've got this 12x12 hole in the wall if I remove the fan and return it. Arggghh.

Why didn't I do the powerful fan and plenum that was previously recommended? Noise. I checked out one of those squirrel cage fans that pulls a true 465cfm, and they're loud. With half the baffles removed from the Doran it's pretty loud too.

Thanks for letting me vent. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Neal

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin