Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,587   Posts: 1,545,831   Online: 1119

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images

reversing darkroom fan

I just installed a new Doran 12x12" darkroom fan. The problem is the fan is blowing into the darkroom instead of exhausting. Does anyone know how to make the fan run in the opposite direction. I installed one just like it a few months ago and it works fine. I tried to reverse the hot wires but it still runs bass ackwards. I thought that maybe that would reverse the polarity. HELP! ......Thanks in advance, Robert

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Images
    I guess just mount it on the other side of the wall?

Jon
    Mendocino Coast Black and White Photography: www.jonshiu.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Robert -

I'm not familiar with the Doran fan, but the simple answer is to simply flip the fan to its other side.

The fan I use has an arrow embossed in the metal frame to indicate the both the direction of rotation and the direction of air flow.

On the other hand, the ideal darkroom ventillation system is "positive pressure" which means that air is forced into the darkroom. If you use a fan to pull air out of the darkroom, it will find all kinds of paths to flow in - around receptacles and plumbing pipes, around doors, etc - pulling dust in with it. But if you force air in, and include a filter in the air path, then those "spurious" paths will become the ways that air leaves. In that arrangement, you have much better control over dust.
    Louie

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I contacted the Doran Co. They are sending a new motor and fan blade today. If I had to wait to exchange it with B&H it would have been weeks. Kudos to Doran's customer service.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Thanks Louie. I already have a filtered fresh air supply into the darkroom. It is the toxic fumes I'm trying to exhaust at this point.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Does anyone use both a fan for incoming air and a fan for exhaust?

Shooter
    35mm
    If your intention is to eliminate odors then mounting to the other side of the wall as previously advised is good. If your desire is to achieve good ventilation than I would suggest a more complex solution. Build an air tight plenum on the outside of the wall your fan is mounted to which holds a couple of auto air cleaner filters. Install a pipe from the opposite side of the darkroom that leads back to the plenum. Then connect the fan to a voltage reducer, a light dimming switch may work fine, for speed control. Now, you have a recirculating ventilation system with air cleaning.
    Claire (Ms Anne Thrope is in the darkroom)

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertP View Post
    I contacted the Doran Co. They are sending a new motor and fan blade today. If I had to wait to exchange it with B&H it would have been weeks. Kudos to Doran's customer service.
    Well the doran fan arrived and I replaced it. Same thing...the fan blows into the darkroom instead of exhausting. So I took the fan blade off and reversed it. This is a small aluminum fan blade with a boss welded to the center with a set screw to hold the fan to the motor shaft. Apparently with this run of fan blades they must have welded the boss on the wrong side of the fan. I turned the fan blade around and it works like it should now. This puts the fan a little closer to the motor but with some creative bending it works like a charm. Now I have a spare motor in case one should burn out. Problem solved. Robert

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jstraw View Post
    Does anyone use both a fan for incoming air and a fan for exhaust?
    Yes. The incoming air is sucked by a fan through a high quality furnace filter to keep any dust or dog hair outside the darkroom. This is on the dry side of the 10x13 foot darkroom.

On the opposite wall, the wet side, I have two fans with 4 inch PVC pipe putting the intakes at the top of the eight foot sink splash rail, sucking the fumes from the trays away from me and outside.

I particularly like the Panasonic Whisper Line fans because they are very quiet, a bit more expensive than most and have the added advantage of sending the air in the direction indicated.

John Powers

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jp80874 View Post
    Yes. The incoming air is sucked by a fan through a high quality furnace filter to keep any dust or dog hair outside the darkroom. This is on the dry side of the 10x13 foot darkroom.

On the opposite wall, the wet side, I have two fans with 4 inch PVC pipe putting the intakes at the top of the eight foot sink splash rail, sucking the fumes from the trays away from me and outside.

I particularly like the Panasonic Whisper Line fans because they are very quiet, a bit more expensive than most and have the added advantage of sending the air in the direction indicated.

John Powers
    I would LOVE to see a photo of this arrangement at the back of your sink? What kind of fans are you using to connect to the 4 inch PVC? Where does it vent to...outside? Very interested in this arrangement and timing couldn't be better.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin