Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,471   Posts: 1,570,922   Online: 779

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Beseler Audible Timer Request for Help

I have just aqcuired a Beseler Audible Timer which is either malfunctioning or I am not using it right. It did not come with instructions, so I am hoping that someone here can explain to me what I am doing wrong, if anything.

This is how I think it ought to work:
    With the multiplier switch set to x1, the first knob is seconds (0-10) and the second knob is tenths of a second. Thus a setting of x1, 2 and .5 should give an exposure of 2.5 seconds. Switching the multiplier switch to x10 and keeping the knob the same would give an exposure of 25 seconds.

This is what's happening:
    With the multiplier set to x10, the exposure lasts as long as the setting on the first knob, ignoring the values on the second knob. Not what I expected, but not incomprehensible. With the multiplier set to x1, the exposure is more confounding. A setting of 1 on the first knob and 0 on the second gives me an exposure of 18 beeps. A setting of 1 and .5 gives me 14 beeps. 2 and 0 give 28 beeps and 2 and .5 gives me 23 beeps.

Is this thing broken or am I not understanding how this thing works?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The thing should wortk exactly as you thought it should. I'd say it's definitely got a problem. Try timing it against a small digital stopwatch if you've got one, and ignoring the 'beeps'. Odds are pretty good that if you use this thing you'll turn off the bleeping-beeps anyway.
    Jeanette
    .................................................. ................
    Isaiah 25:1

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've had one of those things start acting like that. It got tossed out. Seems the contacts or the resistors go bad and throw the timing circuit for a loop.
    Gary Beasley

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by glbeas View Post
    I've had one of those things start acting like that. It got tossed out. Seems the contacts or the resistors go bad and throw the timing circuit for a loop.
    ditto.
    Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have the same timer right here in front of me and I notice that the number of beeps do not match the panel. They are all off by one.

So setting 2 0 in X10 gives me 19 beeps and a setting of 5 0 in X1 = 4 beeps etc. The actual outlet for the enlarger is on for 20 seconds, but the beeps do not follow correctly on the beat, they appear to be slow (al least on my timer).

You might want to hook up a light bulb use a stop watch, and see if the on time is really 20 seconds. There may be some calibration adjustments inside the box.
    There is also 110VAC inside so I don't recommend tinkering with it.

I hope this is clear, please contact me if you have any questions.

--John
    Last edited by JHannon; 09-30-2006 at 06:53 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    John,

that's because the time from the last beep to when it turns off is 1 second, giving you 20 seconds total--that's how mine worked.
    Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I no longer use this timer, but when I did, the audible switch was off so I never noticed it. What you say makes sense Jeremy, Thanks!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The beeps were throwing me off. The x1 and x10 are definitely reversed somehow and both the 0.0 and 1.0 settings on the second knob function as the 1.0 should. However, I have done more testing and found that it gives very consistent results, and I think it is probably better than the Gralab analog timer I am using now in that regard.

THanks, all for stepping in to assist.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The x1/x10 slider switch should have a cover over it so that when it is slid to the x10 side the x1 lettering is uncovered. Same with the opposite way. The cover was probably lost along the way. The timer is adjustable with an internal resistor. If your times seem to not match the switch positions or sometimes are off try cleaning all those internal switches with some contact cleaner. This is really an analog (555 if I remember right) timer and switches around resistors and caps. Probably not as stable long term as a digital circuit. If I can say that on APUG.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BWGirl View Post
    The thing should wortk exactly as you thought it should. I'd say it's definitely got a problem. Try timing it against a small digital stopwatch if you've got one, and ignoring the 'beeps'. Odds are pretty good that if you use this thing you'll turn off the bleeping-beeps anyway.
    Use a watch with a sweeping second hand. Digital watches are for timing how long it takes to run paper thru a printer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin