Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,892   Posts: 1,520,869   Online: 1154

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Oh, Matt. Know anyone who does wet printing in Iowa who would be able to do a print for me for the World Toy Camera Day exchange? I'm not going to be able to come up with the supplies and print that quickly.
    No idea what's going to happen next, but I'm hoping it involves being wrist deep in chemicals come the weekend.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The title sounds like our store's condition, we got maybe close to 20 or more enlargers in the store that are taking up space, but people don't seem to buy them locally anymore, got a few small Praxidos, upto a Bessler 23C or whatever that model is, and even upto a large 5x7 enlarger lol.

But I know how you feel, I was given a Kindermann 6x9 enlarger for free with a glass carrier. The lens doesnt change out with any other lens I know of , nor does it have an adjustible condensor to do 35mm. But I assume thats why the original owner had it attached to a drop table which is now in my walk in closet, now that I'm shooting 4x5 on occasion kinda wish I had a 4x5 enlarger lol.
    -Karl Blessing
    Karl Blessing.com
    The Bokeh
    Color Film always existed. It's just the world was always black and white till recently.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pandino View Post
    If you think you might go to 4x5 someday, believe me, you will!
    Okay, time to stop thinking about anything bigger than 5x7" right now!
    “Do your work, then step back. The only path to serenity.” - Lao Tzu

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie Brim View Post
    Oh, Matt. Know anyone who does wet printing in Iowa who would be able to do a print for me for the World Toy Camera Day exchange? I'm not going to be able to come up with the supplies and print that quickly.
    I'd help you out, but I don't own an enlarger. Ivy Photo in Des Moines still has a darkroom and they do B&W printing. I know a few people around Des Moines that have darkrooms. The Octagon is a community art center in Ames. They have a community darkroom that you could use. They might have a small fee.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Being that this is my first enlarger and my first time printing, I wouldn't want to send ANYONE one of my first prints. I'm not a perfectionist, but I know that they're going to suck for a while. I'll check out Ivy Photo and see what they charge and maybe see if I can be there when it's printed.
    No idea what's going to happen next, but I'm hoping it involves being wrist deep in chemicals come the weekend.

Images
    Good Afternoon, Stephanie,

If the price is attractive and you have the space, get the Beseler 4 x 5. The only reason I can think of to bypass it would be a fantastic offer on a 5 x 7 or 8 x 10 enlarger.

Konical

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    the 45 will give you more stability.
    http://www.aclancyphotography.com

Shooter
    35mm
    IMHO, it boils down to two questions, assuming there aren't any quality "gotchas:"

1. Do you have the space to use the 4x5 right now?
    2. Just how good a deal is the 4x5?

If you don't have the space and the deal is good but not spectacular, then chances are an equally good or better deal will roll around by the time you've got the space and the need for that size, so I'd pass. OTOH, if the answer to question #2 is "it's free" or "it's a once-in-a-lifetime deal," then you might want to get it now even if you can't currently use it; tuck it away in storage (even at a friend's house) until you've got more space. On the third hand, if you acquire the 4x5 now and find it's too big to be useful, you could put it in storage and pick up something smaller. Overall, I'd say it's hard to go badly wrong unless the 4x5 will cost you enough money to prevent you from acquiring a replacement if it turns out to be too big.

Plenty of people have two or more enlargers, one for smaller formats and one for larger formats. You could plan on becoming one of these people after you've acquired the space for a "real" darkroom.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Heya,

Keep in mind, it isn't like there is going to suddenly be a run on used enlargers. In the past couple of years, I have purchased a 23C and a 67 for $35 total. I got a 4x5 and a 5x7 enlarger for the cost of picking them up.

I gave the 6x7 enlarger to an Ape-Hugger, the 4x5 to my brother....so I only have the 23C and the 5x7. The 5x7 is a beast. I can't quite make it fit on my workbench, so it is on the floor. Not-ideal.

There will be good deals down the line. Don't stress it too much.

Matt

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have a 23C, which I acquired first, and later picked up a 45MX. They share lensboards, but I had to rebuy film holders (fortunately I found a great deal for several on eBay). The 23C has been a real trooper, I wouldn't have bought the other enlarger if I didn't start shooting 4x5. The 45 is a big beast; fortunately I got it with the specialized table, or figuring out what to do with it would have become a real problem. The 23C has never posed a space problem, by contrast.

Honestly, go for the enlarger with the best deal that you can find soon, if you have the space.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin