Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,926   Posts: 1,522,132   Online: 904

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie Brim View Post
    Oh, Matt. Know anyone who does wet printing in Iowa who would be able to do a print for me for the World Toy Camera Day exchange? I'm not going to be able to come up with the supplies and print that quickly.
    Stephanie,
    If you want a wet print for WTCD, I'd be happy to make a few prints for you.

I have 35mm, 6x6, 6x9 and 4x5 negative holders. Any other size and I'd have to make a cardboard holder. The 6x9 is actually closer to 6x8, but standard print sizes require cropping on 6x9 anyway.

I'm not in Iowa, but not far away. PM me if you're interested.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Okay, this is interesting.

I found an Omega 4x5 15 miles from me. This may be easier yet to get. Comes with a 150mm Rodagon which I won't need yet and can sell, and also comes with an easel, holders, and Ilford filters.

Stay tuned...I emailed the seller.
    No idea what's going to happen next, but I'm hoping it involves being wrist deep in chemicals come the weekend.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Go for the 4x5. The natural progression of serious photographers is from 35mm to MF to 4x5 to real cameras. A 4x5 enlarger that will handle the smaller films should suffice for a while. When you move up to the big gear, you can sell the enlarger and get by with a printing frame. It it was good enough for Weston, . . .

DBP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The only reasons I can think of not to get a 4x5 enlarger are lack of space and deciding you really need a 5x7. That being said, I use my 5x7 Solar down to 6x7 and an old Chromega for 6x6 and smaller. The Solar does take a lot of space, though.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Think in terms of buying one set of neg. carriers only one time.
    The Beseler has the edge in changing neg sizes because 23C & 45 use the same lens boards. Depending on which Omega you're talking about you may need different lens mounting cones and condensers to change formats.
    If you get the one with the 150 Rodagon, keep the lens for 4X5 & 6X9. You can also use it for making smaller prints from 6X6 & 35mm.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I emailed on the Omega enlarger and it looks as though that one may be a go. If it is, expect me to be asking for trays/tongs/timer/etc next.
    No idea what's going to happen next, but I'm hoping it involves being wrist deep in chemicals come the weekend.

mjs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Never say never! I thought my Beseler 45 would be 'good enough' forever, but if I found a 5x7 enlarger which I could afford and which I could fit into my minature darkroom, I'd drop the 45 like a hot tomale! Go for the largest format enlarger you can manage: I bet that you grow into it before you know it!

Mike

mjs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Oops, almost forgot: a while back I promised to look around the darkroom and see whether I had any leftover stuff after having donated those three spare darkrooms to the school last spring. Sorry, I apparently gave away all my spare trays, timers, safe lights, etc. If I see any at local garage sales or auctions I'll keep you in mind.

Mike

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    You are making the right decision! I have had an Omega C700 for only a couple of months and it is already too small! I now have 6x9 negatives that I cannot fully print (largest is 6x7). But I have the negative carriers 6x4,5 and 6x6. I can see myself going 4x5 someday so another enlarger is in my future! Good luck!

Nancy

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Right now my darkroom is suffering from a surfeit of enlargers - I have a Beseler 23C Dichro, and a 45M??? with the Dichro head as well. Even though I'm not using the 23C at all, and barely using the 45M??? since I'm mostly alt process contact printing these days, I am very reluctant to give them up because if I want or need to enlarge, between the two of them I can print just about anything I want.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin